1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Lee Enterprises thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 12, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This may not bode well for the Napa Valley Register, which is the only Lee property left in California after Hanford, Santa Maria and Oceanside were sold.

EDIT: On second thought, may be a good thing to be freed from the constraints of Lee.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think it bodes well. I looked at Lee's investor website to see how much they collected for the sale of the latter three and it was not disclosed, which means it was not considered a material amount. I would think they would have tried to sell Napa and were unsuccessful, which means the paper is virtually worthless and struggling.

I keep waiting for chains to start trading properties and consolidate them. For example, Lee owns virtually every paper in Montana but Great Falls which is a Gannett property. Gannett owns Springfield, Illinois and Lee owns Decatur. So Gannett trades Great Falls to Lee for Decatur.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

the Atlantic City Press is Lee's sole NJ property and another candidate for swapping. Gannett makes the most sense.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gannett owns Springfield, Illinois and Lee owns Decatur. So Gannett trades Great Falls to Lee for Decatur.

And a pica pole to be named later.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Why does Gannett make more sense than Newhouse?

6. LanceyHoward

Newhouse is inscrutable. The family has a reputation for never selling a paper (New Orleans excepted) but they sold their cable company in 2106 to John Malone for over 11 billion dollars of cash and stock. So they have money despite the hits their newspaper and magazine divisions have taken.

For example Akron sold a few years ago to Gatehouse for 16 million dollars. I would have thought Newhouse would have been all over the Akron paper in order to consolidate with the Plain Dealer. And they clearly had the cash.

7. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

8. LanceyHoward

I found the following from the attached article to be this:

"Much the same is happening at another Advance property in Grand Rapids, Mich. There, press operations will consolidate at an Advance printing facility in Cleveland." According to my Google maps Cleveland is 298 miles from Grand Rapids.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And a proportion wheel.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Why trade what you can acquire at a later date from a merger or bankruptcy court? At this point, I kind of assume leadership at all of these shitty chains assumes they're going to be the last one standing, as long as they can just hold out X months from their own issues.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A trade means you don’t have to use actual cash.

LanceyHoward and sgreenwell like this.
  12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted