1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Hurricane Ike thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The insurance logic chain:
    • Yes, you're covered in full. Just send in your premium and everything will be taken care of.
    • Oh shit, something bad actually happened. Let's scour the fine print for loopholes so we don't have to pay a dime.
    • Well, technically, that tree fell because of water undermining the roots, and not the wind. So even though it fell on your house, the water damage isn't covered under your policy. Sorry. No money for you.
    • And by the way, because you live in an area that's now more prone to hurricanes than it was two months ago, we're raising your rates 50 percent or so. Just send in your premium and everything will be taken care of.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Liesl, that's just maddening. If they've agreed to replace the sheetrock anyway, I don't see much downside to putting your fist through the wall IF you have a camcorder running to show mold is there when you do it. You don't want them claiming that when you inflicted intentional damage on the house, that somehow made it easier for the mold to start or spread.

I grew up in Florida, and my extended family is still there, so your stories have hit home for me. Please know we're thinking of you and AA and, of course, the Little Man.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A couple of stories about the search for those still missing, and some of those who stayed and died there ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/us/05missing.html?hp
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5glUtWAW1BlcQcj1enZzk-kmvVSvwD93JQV980

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Hire an outside adjuster to go through and give an estimate. The adjuster who came to your house works for the insurance company and it is there job to minimize claims. Fight like hell for every damn penny.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I thought it was interesting to see Hurricane Ike revisiting southeast Texas 9 months later. I'm guessing this might be a common occurrence with natural disasters, but it was not something I had ever thought about.

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/06/11/conroe_courier/news/baby0607.txt

I seem to recall reading a similar article in The Chronicle, but couldn't find anything using their less-than-friendly on-line search function.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same thing happens around military installations when the troops come home.

We've been informed that the Ft. Campbell hospital isn't accepting any new pregnancies, since the division came back about the time our friend's baby (and possibly, ours) will be born. We're both driving to Vanderbilt.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It makes sense to me with military installations. I mean, the guys (gals) have been gone for long periods of time.

But with no a/c and the temp in the high 90's and the humidity in the high 90's, doing the nasty is about the last thing I would want to be doing.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I looked quickly and thought this thread was about the Neal Young song.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It's Neil, Boom.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks Geezus

Draft saved Draft deleted