1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running gun violence thread, part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I can tell you guys are really broken up about this.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts and prayers.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Broken up? No, but yeah, but we're also getting pretty numb to this shit, too.
    "Broken up" is more for the parents here. How did the boy get his hands on a gun?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. WAPO article making the rounds on social media with Pro-Gun crowd.

After his family died, he threatened to kill himself. So the police took his guns.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

and..."The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday Rollins and the girl had been in a relationship that recently ended."

I don't usually watch coverage of these events as they are happening but I had the news on that day. They were speaking to someone who say the shooting and his friend said he saw the shooter shoot himself. It will be interesting to see what the tests show. It is possible that this case will give "ammunition" to the pro gun side when it may actually may be a typical case of domestic abuse where its a murder suicide. That sounds more like it in this case.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I never thought how ridiculous it was for people to be criticizing a police officer for not engaging the shooter at Parkland, when we have a Congress that hasn't lifted a finger after six of the 10 deadliest shootings in our history have taken place in the last five years alone.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've been waiting to hear about the coroner's report. I heard in a report the day after the shooting that there was some question as to who fired the shot that killed the kid shooter, and so far as I know there were only him and the school cop there with guns. If it turns out that the shooter killed himself, a lot of the good guy with a gun rhetoric is going to look kinda foolish.

12. Apologies if this has already been posted.

Amazing read on the power of an NRA Gun Lobbyist, Marion Hammer and the hammerlock she has on Florida politicians.

The N.R.A. Lobbyist Behind Florida’s Pro-Gun Policies

Not that this is new news, but Lobbyists run American politics and politicians. That is clearly demonstrated - to the Nines - in this article.

Draft saved Draft deleted