1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running gun violence thread, part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Idaho has tons of gun-toting firearms enthusiasts, and they're all absolutely rabid about their right to carry them and their need to protect themselves -- from each other, I guess.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Parking lots are often used for robberies and carjackings.

More to the point: Since she had a gun in her purse, she should not have left it unattended at any time. Especially around children.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

She shouldn't have had a round chambered. She would have had more time to react.

Darwin Award, I guess. A shame.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that because we just had a carjacking in a Walmart parking lot in my area two nights ago.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I was at home all night. I have witnesses.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're right.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...nd-park-walmart-robberies-20141202-story.html

And there are plenty of legit reasons to carry a concealed weapon. She could have had an abusive ex or something. But it still seems kind of sad that people are so fearful. It's no way to live.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This kid is quite the babysitter:

St. Louis County police say an 11-year-old boy fatally shot a 16-year-old intruder during a home invasion.

Sgt. Brian Schellman says officers responded Thursday afternoon to a report of a shooting at a north St. Louis County home.

He says officers arrived to find the 16-year-old boy dead inside.

Police believe the teen made it inside the home on his third attempt to break in and say the 11-year-old shot him in the head.

Schellman says a 4-year-old girl was also inside. Neither she nor the 11-year-old was hurt.

Police: 11-year-old fatally shoots home intruder, 16, in St. Louis County

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Now THAT is gun control.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hero babysitting older brother, or cold blooded killer?

We might need body cameras for 11-year-olds:

Some neighbors told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that they witnessed the shooting and there was no break-in.

Donna Jackson told the newspaper that she saw the 11-year-old shoot the 16-year-old at point-blank range as they talked near front door.

"It was not a break-in," Jackson, 45, said. "He shot him in the head."

Jazmyne Clark, 18, who lives two doors down from the shooting, said the 11-year-old was on the front porch when he told the 16-year-old to approach him. When the 16-year-old reached the front door, the younger boy shot him, Clark said.

"He was never in the house," Clark told the newspaper. "He wasn't breaking in at all. He was just trying to sell him his phone."

But Sharon Taylor, who lives next door to where the shooting happened and said she is a cousin of the 11-year-old's father, said the boy is not a troublemaker. She doubted the break-in story, however, calling it unlikely to happen in the middle of the day.

Police: 11-year-old fatally shoots intruder, 16, in St. Louis County

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not a troublemaker just a sly little kid.

Hey, Johhny, come 'ere, I wanna show you sumpin' ...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chicago sounds like a cool city.

Draft saved Draft deleted