1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running French Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, May 23, 2009.

1. U.Fester

U.Fester New Member

Put me down for 10 Euro on Big Tits Malloy.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, Venus played like absolute crap today, least it appears that way from the tape delay. She got bageled? She NEVER gets bageled.

3. U.Fester

U.Fester New Member

She does in Paris

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Go back and look at her early-round loses through the years and they all have one thing in common: loads and loads of unforced errors, especially off the forehand.

Clay makes it even worse and the young gals figure out after a few games that if they can just keep the ball in the court (easier said than done sometimes), Venus will beat herself. Same for Serena, although I don't think four-name Martinez Sanchez has the game to pull the upset on Saturday.

I give Venus and Serena credit for showing up in Paris, year after year, when it would be awfully tempting for them to say "screw the clay; I'll play a couple of big-money exhibitions and practice for Wimbledon".

Prediction: Roddick loses to Marc Gicquel on Saturday.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Roddick makes the second week but the Djoker doesn't. How very strange.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Roddick had a much easier draw, too.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dominika Cibulkova with an easier-than-expected win over Agnes Szavay, the player who ousted Venus Williams.

Cibulkova has the game to beat Maria Sharapova in the quarterfinals (assuming Sharapova makes it that far) if she doesn't let Sharapova get in her head.

Dinara Safina continues to play incredibly well on clay. I take back all the stuff I said about her not being a legit No. 1, although it still remains to be seen how she will do in the big matches. Could get Ivanovic in a rematch of last year's final, as early as the quarterfinals.

8. The entire French Open women's draw, except for the Williams sisters, reads like a roster of villainous Bond women.

9. Pussy Galore v. Rosa Klebb

Saw where Serena Williams called her opponent a cheat, after losing of course.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Rafa is a tiebreak away from getting bounced from the Open for the first time ever ...... is it possible that the tournament loses both of its defending champions on the same day?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yep, down 5-1 now as they change sides. I guess this is nowhere on TV, right?

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wow! Robin Soderling def. Nadal 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-4, 7-6 (2). Nadal had won 33 sets in a row at Roland Garros.

Draft saved Draft deleted