1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Just a quick glance: The top two running backs, Flanders and Sincere, appear to be Fritz recruits (both are in their second year in the program). So is QB Brian Bell. Bell and Sanders are true sophomores. Flanders is a Kansas State transfer. Dax Swanson, who has seven interceptions, is second-year guy who transferred from Baylor.

On the other hand, they have plenty of hold-overs. Kash David, the linebacker who leads them in tackles for loss, is a fifth-year senior (love that they have a Kash and a Dax). Darnell Taylor, who leads them in tackles, is a junior.

So it's a mix. Not too surprising considering it's Fritz's second year, which gives him enough time to get some transfers in there that are to his liking while still having plenty of guys left over from the previous coach.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I guess I'll soon have a more definitive answer about those Bearkats ... big one tomorrow at Bowers Stadium.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got credentialed for the FCS championship game last year and had a great time.

I'm disappointed that a) neither Eastern nor Delaware will be back; and b) that it's on a Saturday afternoon and I'll have to work desk.

4. BrianGriffin

So far so good for the #1 seed. Richard Sincere is a fantastic player for Sam Houston. Stoker still loves to crowd the line and put the pressure on his corners. God help them if they play a team with a couple of big-time receivers on the outside.

5. Johnny Dangerously

OK, they can play a little. :)

6. BrianGriffin

They can also try to blow a game a little.

But yeah, they are good. Sincere and Flanders are something else.

Every time you're ready to dismiss the SLC as a conference, somebody in that league makes a run and says "We're still here."

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm pretty sure you could see Wilie Fritz's balls from space last night.

8. BrianGriffin

I'm pretty sure there was a read they were making and if what they wanted to see wasn't there, they were either going to call timeout or quick kick like they had done earlier.

But still...

9. Johnny Dangerously

What happened? Got to see only the first half. Sounds like there was a gutsy play call?

10. BrianGriffin

Sam faced 4th-and-1 at its own 45ish with under two minutes left up 3. They lined up to go for it. Everybody in the stadium thought they were trying to draw Montana offsides or, perhaps, they would shotgun snap it and quick kick (they had done that earlier).

Nope. They ran the play for 20ish yards. First down. Take a knee.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Pictured: Sam Houston State head coach Willie Fritz before making the call.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted