1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sam's opponents do have a bad composite record, mainly because the Southland Conference is a slop conference. The Bearkats have still been running through teams and knocked off an 'FBS' team in New Mexico. Tough not to put them high.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It is bad, but they're unbeaten, and that has to count for something. Though knowing the TSN voters, they'll still have William & Mary ranked at 4-5 this week because URI is "a tough loss" and URI would "win any league in the country because the CAA is so awesomely good."

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So Old Dominion comes from behind to beat William & Mary 35-31, improving to 9-2 overall and 6-2 in its inaugural season in the CAA. They can still get a share of the regular-season title if Towson, Maine and New Hampshire lose one game apiece (and someone will lose the Towson-UNH shootout in progress), and they will definitely be in the playoffs with a first-round bye a distinct possibility. Is this a testimony to ODU's rapid development as a program, or is it that the CAA is down (or at least more spread out) than previous seasons?

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Youngstown State beats North Dakota State, which puts them in the playoff picture now provided they beat Missouri State at home next week.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

YSU would be a lock with a win had the Penguins not scheduled St. Francis and Valpo in the non-con and lost to South Dakota State.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Isn't scheduling weak a YSU tradition?

There are now 4 unbeaten D-Is, if I'm not mistaken: LSU, Oklahoma State, Houston and Sam Houston State, the last FCS unbeaten. Looks like they may end up with a top-4 seed.

7. Mystery Meat II

Presuming SHSU doesn't stumble in its final game, its top four seed is assured. North Dakota State is probably safe too, again presuming no last-week loss. I would think Montana State would be OK even if they lost to Montana. As for the last top-four seed, the question is do you penalize Georgia Southern for their upcoming loss to Alabama? If so, then Northern Iowa takes that last seed, unless they lose, at which point you'd open the door for Lehigh, Montana and perhaps Towson. But the SoCon champions have to be a top-four seed with only one loss to FCS competition, you'd think.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No way do you penalize Georgia Southern for playing Alabama. They get a 1 seed. Go Eagles!

And ODU's QB, Taylor Heinicke is a friend of my son's. 70% completion rate, 15 TDs, 1 Int.

9. Mystery Meat II

As an ODU fan/alum, I was really skeptical about pulling Heinicke's redshirt after Thomas DeMarco got hurt. I thought it was a bit short-sighted, especially since it wasn't a season-ending injury DeMarco suffered. I was pretty dead wrong, wasn't I?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So does the Southland get two teams in?

Central Arkansas has three losses, but one is to Sam Houston and the others are Division I schools La. Tech and Arkansas State.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think UCA is safely in. Seven-game win streak. Healthy Nathan Dick. They struggled without him, but they've been really good with him.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

First of all, memo to Jay: The FCS IS in Division I (I'm being a technicality nerd when I say that, but it's true).

As to your point Cosmo, UCA's FBS losses are actually to two pretty good teams. Arkansas State won the Sun Belt and La. Tech is now 6-4 after blowing out (an albeit horrible) Ole Miss and Tech has won five straight. And look at their losses: by a point to unbeaten Houston, in overtime at Mississippi State, by two to Southern Miss and one bad loss to Hawaii. They are literally three field goals away from being 9-1 with a sweep of the Mississippi SEC schools and wins over the two best teams in C-USA.

And Central Arkansas took Tech to overtime. That should help UCA, not hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted