1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running FCS playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 20, 2022.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many of us attended FCS schools. The playoffs deserve their own thread, so it doesn't get clogged up in the week-to-week FBS discussion.

Here's the playoff bracket. A glaring omission? Ivy champ Yale, because even though the league lets every other sport play for an NCAA title, it still prohibits its football champion from participating in the postseason.

Certainly this is a Title IX violation and somebody should litigate it. I'm frankly shocked no one has (to my knowledge). Free the Eli!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...bracket-date-time-location-tv-channel-history

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just means more in the Dakotas, I guess.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't have a dog on the hunt, but don't sleep on Sacramento State.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jackson State as well, and for the same reason. The SWAC decided to break off from the FCS playoff system and do its own thing in the late 90s. Now it has a team ranked in the top 5 that could probably make some noise, and it won't get the chance.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nice to see Idaho in there, for many reasons. And the Hornets.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. nickp

nickp Active Member

Fascinating that the Ivy League winner and SWAC winner won’t play in the
    FCS playoffs

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By next September, I will have gone from attending a school with no football to attending a FCS school to attending a (second) FBS school, all without registering for an additional credit hour.

maumann likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The SWAC doesn't because it can make more money with the Thanksgiving weekend game at New Orleans.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Incarnate Word is an interesting story. Program was founded in 2009 at the D-II level and moved up to FCS in 2013. They never won more than 6 games in a season until the last two years. (Full disclosure: I'm acquainted with their first-year head coach, GJ Kinne.)

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And presumably the championship game and Celebration Bowl as well, instead of what would probably be a one-and-done playoff appearance most years.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The SWAC and MEAC allow teams to participate, just not the division/conference champions.

FAMU earned an at-large last year, while Jackson State and PVA&M were the division winners that played for the league title.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Elon-Furman is an old SoCon matchup in the first round. St. Francis could be pretty tricky for Delaware. The Red Flash only lost by 10 at Richmond and hung with FBS Akron. ... And the NCAA rules preventing a conference rematch in the first round led to a couple of long trips for teams. Obviously would have made more geographic sense to have Idaho play at Montana and then pair SE Louisiana and SE Missouri, but Idaho and Montana played in the regular season, so Idaho gets to go to Hammond and SEMO heads up to Missoula.

Draft saved Draft deleted