1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Fantasy Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 2, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I should have said it was me playing AGAINST him. Everyone has their best week against me.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Ah, the Pedro Feliz rule. That guy has about 3 good weeks per year, and they always come against me.

another question before bed (finally, damn diet coke): how many leagues do each of you play in?

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm in first in my division (14 team league), third overall best record in the league:

Lineup:
    Victor Martinez
    Lyle Overbay
    Dan Uggla
    Miguel Cabrera
    Carlos Guillen (traded Alex Rios for him)
    Josh Willingham
    Gary Matthews Jr.
    Carl Crawford
    Utility: David DeJesus (FA pickup)

Bench:
    Freddy Sanchez
    Johnny Estrada
    Mark DeRosa

Pitching Staff -
    Jake Peavy
    Barry Zito
    Andy Pettitte
    Kevin Millwood
    Nate Robertson
    John Lackey
    Bobby Jenks
    Al Reyes (FA pickup, couldn't be happier right now)

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

BJ Upton has been a revelation for my first-place squad. Picking Ian Kinsler over Josh Barfield wasn't bad either. Adam LaRoche and Ervin Santana...UGH.

Sleeper alert: Ryan Doumit, PIT - Dude is raking (and catcher eligible).

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't even bring up Barfield, dammit. Could have had Rickie Weeks instead in two leagues. At least I replaced him with Aaron Hill in one.

Kinsler is going to be something special. He's just about there now, just has to show he can be consistent.

6. Trey Beamon

outofplace,

Think there's any way Doumit -- if he keeps this up -- can unseat Nady and/or RoPo?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone in my AL-only keeper league didn't protect Beckett at 28 cents. I got him in the auction at 24, not to mention Buehrle at 14. Yeah, I'm happy with that. When I expressed shock at Buehrle's reasonable price, another owner quipped, "It's because he sucks." Sure he does.

Re: Doumit, the Bucs fanboy looser in me took him in my NL-only keeper league for a penny. Happy with that, too.

8. Trey Beamon

Oz,

Is Billy Butler a good investment (as a reserve OF, of course)?

9. outofplace

Maybe Nady, but even that would be tough. They seem committed to him in right field. I was under the impression that they aren't considering Doumit an option for more than reserve duty at catcher these days.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Gosh, I hope good investment, but supposedly Alex Gordon was far more ready for the bigs than Butler in March. And we've seen what Gordon's done. I like Butler but I would be cautious. If you've got a weak link, he might be worth a shot.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Shit, Piazza's gone for over a month and he was my only catcher. I just offered up Kelly Johnson for Russell Martin, straight up. Would a halfway sane owner pull the trigger on that?

12. outofplace

I don't know. I've had people say purely as a hitter, Butler might be more ready. But he's just brutal pretty much everywhere in the field while Gordon improved a bit defensively last year.

I think Butler's worth a shot in deeper leagues. If he flops, he'll be back in the minors fairly quick and you'll just have to go get somebody else.

In a keeper league, if you have the open spot, I say grab him for sure. He might not help that much now, but by 2008 he could be a big part of your team.

Draft saved Draft deleted