1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "Entourage" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Andy _ Kent, Jul 13, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's because so much of it is variations on the same story over and over again. The show is like a candy bar. You enjoy it for a moment, but it's not very filling and sometimes you regret wasting the calories/time on it. That said, I keep watching. Unfortunately, I've never kicked the candy bar habit, either.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I enjoyed Lloyd getting tough with Ari. I could watch those two go back and fourth forever.

Agree with lynotype, too. Thought for sure Vince was going to crash or get a DUI right away, thus putting his role as a race car driver in jeopardy right away. Glad they didn't start that way.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Great analogy, but dammit, now you're making it tougher for me to ignore that Kit-Kat bar sitting on my kitchen counter. I'm on a new health kick and I'm trying to stay away from the candy, so I guess that means I should stop watching the show. ;D

And I also was expecting a DUI arrest for Vince or something else to throw all of the good karma out of whack following his "killer" appearance on The Tonight Show. Maybe something like him getting busted for bribing a government official at the driver's license place.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was my issue. This show was filmed well after I'm sure it was announced Conan was taking over the Tonight Show. So why have him on the Leno Tonight Show when it was done well before this show aired?

And even worse, they had an "I'll save it for Conan" reference.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

the leno show thing was startling. i mean, wasn't the date of the move to conan taking over set for months, perhaps even years? ??? ??? ???

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Perhaps this Entourage world exists in another dimension. One where Jay Leno is still on the Tonight Show and a crippling recession does not exist.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Leno thing was weird, but I thought the episode was pretty good for the most part. I was so disappointed last season because it seemed like they were going down an interesting road with Vince struggling, but they didn't do anything interesting with it.

8. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I liked the first episode quite a bit. The only part of it that seemed unrealistic to me was Lloyd's behavior towards Ari, although they did a good job of trying to make it seem plausible.

9. sg86

sg86 Member

I love how their big get was My Name Is Earl when the show got canceled about two months ago.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Kevin Connelly was on Conan a couple of weeks ago and they showed the clip with them getting ready for Leno and saying they were going to save it for Conan. Pretty damn funny showing that clip on Conan.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

This show lost its "buzzworthyness" a while ago. Now it's just a show you watch because you've always watch it. It is OK, but no longer trendsetting.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't know how you could watch this episode in particular and say "the characters are just spinning their wheels" or "every episode is always the same". I'll agree seasons 1 through about 3 were basically all the same, but they've done a lot in the last two years. They made their own movie and it totally bombed — a major departure from the first couple seasons. Vince damn near quit/got run out of the business last year. And one episode into this season, his rat pack is split in three different ways, maybe as he's preparing to reach his career's highest point (if this movie is as good as it sounds like it is).

Yeah, it's still a show about a movie star, his buddies, their toys and hot women, but what the hell do you expect? Did you guys bitch about how every plot in Cheers had something to do with a bar? I don't know what else Entourage could reasonably do plot wise to mix it up more. And damn it, any episode Sloan is in in my new favorite episode. That woman might be my favorite on TV right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted