1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

running cws thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 16, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Funny how colleges can pay football coaches $2 million but don't have a couple grand to spend on wood bats.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, and buck, you're still dead to me

but spnited, most of those places where the football coaches make $2 mil, they bring in a lot more than that. baseball is still, for most places, a non-revenue sport

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Supposedly LSU is offering its new coach a  $300,000 Easton contact (others far closer to the situation could confirm this). The top coaches make big money from the suppliers and don't want to end the gravy train.

Also, the manufacturers have threatened to sue the NCAA for restraint of trade if they force schools to go back to wood.

It would be very easy for the major-league teams to establish a wood bat endowment for college baseball. It would help them in the long run, with scouting/evaluation.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hoops,

That's where MLB comes into play, just as the NBA has in hoops and the NFL eventually will in football. It behooves the pro leagues to assist in the development of their future talent, plus there can be good money in it (which is more important, of course.) It just makes more sense for MLB and NCAA to get together on this. Plus, somebody's going to get killed. That's just inevitable.

Signed,
    The Undead

5. HoopsMcCann

i don't disagree with it, but with easton being able to hand out $300,000 contracts, i don't see it happening

p.s. -- still dead

6. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

"Omaha" and "Omaha XS" are models from Louisville Slugger, not Easton.  Not a big deal, but in the interest of getting the facts right.

Getting rid of aluminum bats in college ball is a great idea.  Pitchers don't throw the inside pitch in college due to aluminum bats.

7. HoopsMcCann

d'oh... my bad

it's not gonna happen until someone -- from a large school -- dies

8. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Unfortunately, It not only takes a few deaths but a few successful lawsuits for just about any safety rules change in this country.

A few years ago, Frank Thomas, when he was with the White Sox, would fool around using an aluminum bat during batting practice.  You couldn't believe how hard and far he hit those balls.  It was quite a show.  Word got back to MLB about it and they made him stop using it during batting practice.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think there's a logical explanation for why that hasn't happened yet. And I dread the day that it does, because I don't want to feel vindicated for pushing for wooden bats for all these years.

But I agree with you -- until the money dries up, it ain't gonna change. Until someone dies.

Oh, and 3-0 Tech through four and a half. ;)

10. HoopsMcCann

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

But the money won't dry up until someone dies and their family sues successfully.  All the major wood bat manufacturers also produce aluminum bats.  The money they charge for aluminum bats is getting crazy. The new 2007 Easton Stealth Bat [model # BCN4] sells for $380.  Bat manufacturers aren't really interested in selling wood bats when the buying public is willing to plunk down $300+ for an aluminum bat for their kid.  Only when injury lawsuits start hurting the manufacturers of aluminum bats will the money dry up.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My dream final: Dawgs vs. Jackets. (Really, it is. I'd die to see that one. And be completely and utterly torn. I loves me some Diamond Dogs, too.)

But I'll root for Tech just to spite you! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted