1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's been that way for at least a decade all over college hockey. Even if you want to play Division III, you still have to do an extra year or two after high school in juniors or prep school. I guess the upside is getting admitted into a good academic school that wouldn't otherwise take you. Also, if the coach really wants you, athletic scholarship or not, he'll find a way to make it work.
    But if somebody is paying full sticker price for their kid to play Division III hockey, it makes one wonder if it's really worth it.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Find a way is right.

I know my buddy, who was a hockey writer for a D-III school years ago, did a story about how a powerhouse school gave away numerous "Leadership Scholarships"...worth up to $10K a year for "merit-based" accomplishments. All the student needed to do was have a 2.5 GPA or higher. A lot of the hockey team players found themselves on that list of scholarship winners each year.

I'm sure it's the same way in D-I. They find ways to get the kid a scholly.

Draft saved Draft deleted