1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running college bowls thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Bubba Fett, I'm glad I could help.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Two games, 63 confidence points earned. Best start I've ever had in bowl pools.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Agreed.. but how could you duplicate the subtle flames on the helmet?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tend to agree. If ever a case of a player regressing as his career moved along, this was it.

I mean, how can you NOT find Calvin Johnson with a few more passes?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I actually think more Mormons live in Vegas than Salt Lake City. But part of that is from more people live in Vegas period.
    Anyway, the Y looked good. Real good. Plus I just love the 25-year old QB with the pregnant wife in the stands. That's probably the kind of thing the NCAA would like to crack down on, but they can't. You just can't tell a kid that he can't go do missionary work if he wants to play a college sport. If the NCAA ever tried, Orrin Hatch would smite them.
    As much as this pains me, and probably Idaho as well, BYU could position themselves to be a national power again in college football. I'd really like to see the Pac-10 expand and take in BYU and maybe, UNLV or Colorado or Utah or someplace else.
    It would make things mighty interesting.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hire John Swofford ... the Pac-10 would have two more teams faster than you can say "expansion."

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that struck me as a strange pairing. Oregon, on the other hand, looked right at home. Garish uniforms in the neon city.

What happens in Vegas ...

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

What has kept the Pac-10 from expanding is that there are no options in the West that improve its average overall TV market ranking. When your league includes L.A, San Francisco and Phoenix, that's tough to do anyway.

The only schools that would have worked for the Pac-10 were Texas and Texas A&M, and that's why the league tried to get them during the mid-90s expansion craze. BYU and Utah (and even Colorado) would not help average-market wise, and the Pac-10 has determined that the revenue from a conference championship game would not offset having to divvy the money pie to two extra schools.

Add two more schools, and there is no way every Pac-10 team can play in L.A. at least once per season, which the schools want for recruiting purposes.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

Only a few short hours until the New Orleans Bowl. I know, I know, I need to settle down and wait for this awesome game between two proven powers.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah. What he said.

And has been said many times before, the Pac-10 presidents are anal about their conference's academic reputation (yeah, it sounds like BS, but it's true); schools like BYU don't fit that profile and there's no way in hell any Pac-10 California school would allow a CSU institution like Fresno or San Jose into the league.

The West Coast schools that best fit the Pac-10 profile are UC Davis, and to a less extent, Cal Poly. And that ain't happening.

And I'm actually meeting a buddy to watch the NO Bowl and drink a few brewskis. It's the only time all week I can do it, so, go Troy!

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Methinks the Pac-10 doesn't want to take a chance on having BYU or Boise State come in and possibly school everyone except USC. And I don't think BYU wants to take a chance on having its meteoric passing stats be watered down with tougher competition than Mountain West.

But I don't think the Pac-10 would mind being able to tell recruits, "You get to go to Hawaii every other year!"

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'd use my saliva because I spit hot fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted