1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running College Bowl Selection Argument/Outrage/Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Dec 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can't believe other teams waste their time at other bowls. [/jimmy olson]

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I can't believe LSU horse-whipped us. [/jimmy olson, jan. 3]

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Rutgers got jobbed with their bowl assignment. Rutgers the third-place team in the Big East and No. 16 team in the BCS gets to play an unranked team from the Big 12 (the Big 12's lowest bowl qualifier) in a first-year Bowl while:
    unranked Navy gets No. 24 Boston College in the Car Care Bowl
    unranked Georgia gets No. 15 Virginia Tech Chick-fil-A Bowl
    unranked Iowa vs. No. 19 Texas in the Alamo Bowl
    uranked Penn State gets No. 17 Tennessee in the Outback Bowl
    Rutgers should have gotten any of those bowls over a BCS unranked team.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bowl tie-ins, Estreet. It is what makes college football exciting, maddening and a boil on the ass of humanity rolled into one neat package.
    Wait. That's Urban Meyer... never mind

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Zing!!!!

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's called a bowl-tie in for a reason ESJ. The Big East got fucked when BC, Va Tech, and Miami left, thus regulating them to a BCS bid, a Gator Bowl for second place, and a garbage bowl for third.

Navy and the Car Care bowl already inked a deal during the season for the Middies to go there. Georgia is playing at home (fuck Chick-fil-a. It's the damn Peach Bowl) and can put butts in the seats for the home crowd. The Alamo wanted Iowa because we travel anywhere in our $150,000 Winnebagos and pork chops-on-the-go. Plus, it'll be a Texas home game. Penn State and Tennessee is always a sexy pick, per their previous meetings in bowl games.

It's all about the benjamins. Rutgers is slowly building a fan base that will dictate how much pull the team has for future bowl games. They deserve a better bowl than what they are getting, but they haven't been a big player until now.

7. I think Iowa making a bowl game pretty much says it all.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let me just say, the BCS show on FOX was horrible. Absolutely, utterly horrible.

If that's a preview of what we'll see during the BCS games, I fear for the future of college football on TV.

9. aspiring

aspiring Member

I fear the future of college football with the current form of BCS selection in place. Period. I think Fox is just ncedibly happy that it wasn't damaged too bad by the leak of a certain major placing in the process. Thanks, LAT, BTW

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody who really cared who was playing OSU already knew it was Florida well before Chris Rose began speaking.

And WTF was up with that order of announcing the games? Announcing Boise State vs. OU first? That's idiotic. You do the #1 vs. #2 first and then trickle down.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IGQ, those are valid points about Florida's non-conference schedule, but .... the SEC had nine bowl-eligible teams and the Gators played EVERY ONE of them, plus FSU (laugh at their season, but they are going to a bowl ...) and only lost one game, that to a 10-win Auburn team on the road. Plus, Florida's schedule did not include the SEC's worst teams, Mississippi and Mississippi State, while Michigan played two of the bottom three in the Big Ten (Northwestern and Michigan State). So let's dispense with the railings about Florida's nonconference schedule. The argument is worthless.

Edit to correct the bottom teams in Big Ten. And no, Dyepack, it's not nonsense.

12. aspiring

aspiring Member

Inky, That could have been done this year, but I think they were looking for that Miss America-type culmination of announcing the "Big Game" last. You know, "save the best for last" kind of thing going on there.

Draft saved Draft deleted