1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Christmas Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

A family member had to wait 20-30 minutes on the tarmack at Pearson International Airport in Toronto last evening because they had to de-ice the plane.

I hate Pearson, always friggin delays for no reason...they can't get their crap together.

I just want to wish anyone travelling for the holidays to travel safely from destination to destination. Enjoy your holiday travels.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I leave Saturday for Syracuse to do Christmas with the g/f's family. Of course, a big snowstorm is in the works for CT on Sunday. As a snow lover, this is typical luck for me. Head to snow country & where I live will see a rare snowstorm. At least I'm stopping in Cooperstown (first time!) on the way home Sunday night/Monday.

My last day of work is 12/21 & I don't go back until January 3. The only travelling that week will be to cash in some gift cards.

Safe travels to all who are venturing out this season!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not funny. Heading to St. Petersburg in February.

The real one. The cold one. :eek:

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

On Friday, I'll be taking a very rural-assed road. New Mexico Highway 104 between Tucumcari and Las Vegas.

I'll be going through the near-ghost town of Trementina, where the Scientology goofballs have some sort of freaky mega-complex, complete with underground facilities and fancy homes. They also, I think, have the works of L. Ron Hubbard on stainless steel tablets and encased in titanium capsules in specially constructed vaults. The facility is constructed so that you can see the church's logo on the ground from a very high altitude. The whole thing's vaguely disturbing.

I'm not going through Trementina because of the Scientologists. I'm going through because it's between Tucumcari and Las Vegas. I'd much rather Trementina be the headquarters of someone besides Scientologists, like maybe a nymphomaniac bisexual hippie chick commune. No such luck, however.

5. From Germany to Atlanta on Christmas Day and then a drive down to the Florida Panhandle. I'll do it in reverse on New Year's Day.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I hate Continental Airlines!

The flight I booked two weeks ago, thinking the price would skyrocket inside the 21-day window, is now cheaper.

I can't get an adjustment without reissuing the ticket, and those fees are higher than the refund. I can't switch to the new, almost empty, non-stop flight that's been added to the schedule since I booked my original flight.

All I can do is go standby, and that's not even guaranteed without a $25 fee on the day of departure! Oh, and since I'm traveling somewhere cold and snowy, I may have to check my suitcase for the first time I can remember 'cause it'll be stuffed with boots and waterproof gear and extra sweaters.

Remind me why I'm leaving town for Christmas again?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Instead of driving 5 hours or so through L.A. and Orange County traffic to get to my ultimate destination, I'm flying ExpressJet on the 22nd that will get me to my destination in 57 minutes and, when I fly back home on the 26th, it's actually a little less than that. It's also saving my car big time.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Leave out for N.C.'s Crystal Coast on Saturday morning, and return home on Christmas Day afternoon without MrsExpendable and the little Expendables. It will be quiet, but at the same time lonely for a few days.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I fly out in less than 24 hours. Thankfully I am going west, so I should avoid the mess in the central part of the country. It is supposed to be cold and snowy all week in Eastern Washington, but I am assuming I should get in and out with no problem.
    That said, get ready for a "Angola! is stuck in a random airport, amuse me please" thread sometime this week.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

It looks like my wife and I are renting a car for Christmas. Her car has been in the shop for weeks and the anti-lock brakes light went on in mine today and the car skidded on my wife as she drove to her friend's house.

So it looks like we're giving the Enterprise bottom line a minor end-of-year boost. Eh. Could be worse. I hope it has satellite radio or a CD player though.

11. I'm jealous.
    Russia's on my personal Double Down list.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If anyone has any recommendations for a good pair of winter boots, I'm all ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted