1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CBI) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Mar 15, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

I do believe ODU used last year's CIT title as a springboard for this season. These tournaments are what you make of them.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

As was said, on any given Saturday during the regular season there are 160 Division I games. There are plenty of decent officials who are not working the NCAA and NIT.

As for the worth of the CBI: It's what you make of it. It's an excellent opportunity for programs on the build, maybe not so much for established programs.

UTEP was last year's CBI runnerup. Had a spectacular season this year.

Richmond was in last year's CBI semifinals. Spectacular season this year.

Vermont was in last year's CBI quarterfinals. NCAA bid, American East champion this year.

Houston was in the CBI last year. CUSA champions, NCAA berth this year.

It's more games, extra practice. Young teams can benefit. And those completing their eligibility get a few more games and a few more memories.

I attended one of the CBI's championship game last year, and the atmosphere was absolutely outstanding. I expect it was at UTEP as well, as both games there drew 12K.

Having a home team, and playing this event on campus, creates a far, far better atmosphere than MSG and 8K for the NIT finals.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th

Seen Utah State play much? Not saying they'd drill any of those teams because anything can happen, but they'd go the distance with any of them. That's kind of the point of 12 seeds and bubble teams ... ain't much difference in 'em. And Stew Morrill would coach Bruce Weber and Rick Stansbury under a rug. And this year, more than just about any other in the past decade, there's some very good ball being played outside the BCS conferences.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure there are enough refs. I'm not sure there are enough good refs. The ACC and CAA share a pool. On Saturdays when both were in full force, the CAA got the bottom of the barrel. Coaches used to tell me they loved the odd-night games because you'd at least get some capable refs.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And we know this because Utah State played such a daunting non-conference schedule or because we like to wax poetic about this shitbrick mid-majors?

That's what I thought....

6. Re: Running Chris Rock Invitational (CB4, errr, CB1) thread: The battle for 98th!!!

You guys forgot the CIT. Who will be number #113?
    http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/2010_schedule.html

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Mississippi State lost games to Rider and Western Kentucky (not to mention Richmond), and only managed nine conference wins when twelve of its conference games were played against Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn, and Alabama. Florida, Vandy, Tennessee, and Kentucky? 0-4 in the regular season and 2-1 in the conference tournament.

8. zagoshe

So it is your testimony that the WAC is better than or equal to the SEC? Are you really trying to make that case?

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I think Utah State could have won 9 games playing in the SEC West this season.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

And furthermore, a team that can only muster nine wins in the SEC West with losses to Rider and WKU in non-conference is not tournament worthy.

11. zagoshe

I see - but a team from the WhACk that DIDN'T win the conference tournament, has losses to such powerhouses as Utah, Northeastern, Long Beach State and Louisiana Tech and whose lone claim to fame is a win over BYU, it tournament worthy?

Give me a fucking break.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Finally, a place for the Great West champion.

Draft saved Draft deleted