1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Canadian journalism cuts thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

BTW, the linked story now has a bit at the bottom which completely contradicts the lede:
    I suppressed a laugh when it said Metro only employed six people on its editorial side to begin with. Wow.

Still, jobs lost are bad news no matter how you look at it. Hope those folks land somewhere.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Zag ... just don't. Not here, OK?

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I know Darren runs with a pretty skeleton crew here to begin with. I'm hoping they didn't take any hits, because the Calgary edition does some good local work.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I don't mind Zag's post, usually. But a layoff thread is neither the time nor place for political grandstanding bullshit.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I was agreeing with you. Can we get back to being depressed, please?

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I know. I was driving the point home to Zag, really. Now shut up and pass the vodka.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Metro's the ten or so page freebee they give away in the Toronto subway. It's owned by the Toronto Star

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

The irony runneth deep ...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/02/12/cgy-calgary-inc-magazine.html?ref=rss

Calgary business magazine folds
    Last Updated: Thursday, February 12, 2009 | 2:23 PM MT Comments0Recommend6
    CBC News

The last issue of the business magazine CalgaryInc will be published in March.

Five employees and one intern have been laid off by its publisher, RedPoint Media Group.

RedPoint Media Group's executive vice-president Gary Davies told CBC News on Thursday that some elements of the magazine, such as "Top 40 under 40" will be rolled into Avenue, another magazine owned by the company.

Davies blamed the layoffs on falling advertising sales since Sept. 1.

The magazine's current issue is called "The Survival Guide to 2009." A final edition will be released in March.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My bad,

Grab a cup and consider this a peace offering.......

[​IMG]

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Six at the Kamloops Daily News today. One is the sports reporter who was hired just this past fall. Another is a desker. Four went in non-union positions.

Buyouts to come. Why they don't do those first is beyond me.

Cuts to come throughout Black Press soon in B.C. Several communities have already dropped an edition and are no longer tri-weeklies.

Draft saved Draft deleted