1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Canadian journalism cuts thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Dec 16, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: 600 to go in Canada -- Sun Media

I was about to say the same thing---unless you a Canadian and probably from Toronto and probably of a certain age, you likely wouldn't know that at all.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Re: 600 to go in Canada -- Sun Media

Only reason I knew was because I'm a Sun survivor. Of course, I know a lot of people up there now who probably don't know it.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Next up: the Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/01/14/halifax-herald-jobs.html

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I hate it when people post on this thread.

BTW, our shop hasn't technically lost anyone in the newsroom yet, but one vacancy will remain that way and I've already seen one person let go from another part of the building. Boss says there's no plans for a layoff but in the same breath admits he can't say it won't happen.

I know I should be happy just to have a job but it's all absolutely depressing.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Have been told that David Black is sharpening his scissors.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Which David Black? Black Press or Edmonton Sun?

Black Press should have been Osprey Media's white knight - if there is such a thing any more in newspaper publishing - when Quebecor first bid for the chain. Unfortunately, Quebecor ultimately offered more money for Osprey and we got sucked into Peladeau's orbit.

I knew once Quebecor upped its opening bid to get Osprey that not much time would pass before Peladeau would seek to recoup that extra coin he hadn't originally intended to spend.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

There are two David Blacks in newspapers? Yikes ... yes, the Black Press one, owns most of the community newspapers in British Columbia and the Red Deer Advocate.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, David Black is also the name of the publisher/CEO at the Edmonton Sun.

Neither, as far as I know, are related to Conrad.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Not sure about David in the Chuck, but the David I worked for isn't.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Metro Toronto laid off its entire editorial staff yesterday and will be using unpaid interns to churn out copy:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090209.WBnobodysbusiness20090209183420/WBStory/WBnobodysbusiness

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why Canada's economy is doing bad -- I mean according to many on this board, this economic mess was all George W. Bush's fault.

I guess I didn't realize he controlled the purse strings up there as well as in Europe.......

Draft saved Draft deleted