1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I admire McElroy's play. I wouldn't speak to my offensive line again if I'd been vaporized the way he was in the first half.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You mean that starting quarterback who engineered exactly zero points two years later in the BCS title game against Oklahoma? That one?

And let's talk injuries.

FSU was missing a QB who wound up going 2-18 as a starter in the NFL.
    Tennessee was missing a RB (Jamal Lewis, hurt in Game 5) that was one of the best in the nation and a future NFL star.

As replacements, UT had Travis Henry. FSU had Marcus Outzen.
    Depth matters. Every bit as much as blocking and tackling.

For someone who whines about "facts getting in the way", you seem to ignore them at your convenience.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered that '98 game. I think there were something like 13 penalties between the teams in the first half. Really ugly. And Marcus Outzen was a total douche after the game. Tee Martin was total class.

4. BTExpress

That FSU team was one of the most penalized ever. Awesome defense, but it was the peak of the staff's "play to the echo of the whistle" attitude, which resulted in a lot of personal foul penalties.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

jackass, i'm not a boise fan so i'm not crying for them. i think the system is bs and there should be a playoff. you didn't bold the part where i said the burden is on them to get the big out of conference wins. but if any bcs team is a power and only agrees to play a boise or tcu at home then that is bs. maybe not home and home, but a 2 home and 1 away.

like florida state would they be able to lose on the road and still go to the national championship game, while the team that beat them doesn't.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute -- you just proved my point, thank you.

Marcus fucking Outzen?

Depth at tailback is much different than depth at quarterback and anyone - particularly a shameless Peyton Manning fan -- who doesn't understand that is a moron.

Oh that is right, I forgot, Travis Henry was never an NFL running back and did not have a good career.

And how did Chris Weinke do the next season in the bowl game? (a nice conveinent way of trying to skew the facts without actually using, you know, facts) and more importantly, two fucking years later he won the Heisman trophy and played the bowl game without Snoop Minnis.

Yet despite basically having no passing game at all to speak of, Tennessee held on for dear life and won in "dominant" fashion by one touchdown......

There is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind outside of slobbering SEC fanboys in Tennessee that if Chris Weinke, and not Marcus Outzen, had played against Tennessee that FSU would have won that game.

Those are the facts.

Tennessee's title is tainted by that.

Of course, need we remind everyone the choir boys and model citizens that both Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry have been? One thing that is certain about both of them is they certainly share the values of the current Vols coaching staff and administration and certainly fit right in with the rest of the team on alumni day....LOL

7. zagoshe

Hey now -- nobody should complain about the Colts sitting Peyton Manning against the Jets because the quarterback position isn't that important and hell, the Colts should be able to win a playoff-like game with their back-up quarterback [/BTExpress]

8. BTExpress

More made-up shit.

I said . . . DEPTH IS IMPORTANT.

Yes, Travis Henry was a very good back . . . and Tennessee in 1998 was a very deep team. That's why they won the bleeping game. Twenty-two of their starting 24 players landed on NFL rosters.

So spare me the "if all-world Chris Weinke" had played nonsense. FSU lost to a ridiculously talented team that finally played up to its talent level after years of underachieving.

Funny, but Tennessee can replace a Peyton Manning with Tee Martin . . . and win a title.

FSU can't replace a QB 1/10th as good as Manning without its offense falling apart.

9. zagoshe

Really - Peyton Manning began that season as the starter? I didn't realize that, you should tell the Colts this because they have him as starting games for them that season....

And let me tell you this - if you really think Peyton Manning was ten times, or even two times, the quarterback Chris Weineke was IN COLLEGE then you are far more delusional and far more of a slobbering blindly loyal Tennesse fanboy than I had even feared.......

I mean, let's see.....

Heisman Trophys

Weinke 1, Peyton 0 (I know, the conspiracy to dis the Vols, the one that gave Paul Hornung the Heisman over Johnny Majors all those years ago was alive and well and the media just wanted to make sure they gave it to a Michigan guy.......)

National championships

Weinke 1, Peyton 0

National championships games got teams to during career as a starter.......

Weinke 3, Peyton 0

Wins against Florida....

Weinke 2 (in two tries), Peyton 0 (in four tries)

Conference championships

Weinke 3, Peyton 1

4,000-yard passing seasons

Weinke 1, Peyton 0

You know, in looking at these numbers, not only was Peyton Manning not "ten times" the quarterback Chris Weinke was in college, there is actually a very strong and solid argument to be made that Chris Weinke was the better of the two quarterbacks in college......

10. BTExpress

And after having seen each in college, NFL executives basically agreed . . . that you're full of shit. They were so impressed with his college resume that they were fighting over him . . . in the fourth round of the draft.

Psst. Peyton was the third-string QB in 1994, didn't start the Florida game and didn't start any game until the other two starters were lost for the season with injuries. But if you want to pin that Florida loss on his resume (0 for 4!!), go right ahead. Smarter people than you have made that stupid mistake.

But then, you'd have to admit that it is possible for a team to win when it loses its quarterback. UT lost 2 QBs that year, and its third-stringer went 7-1, including a bowl win.

LSU lost its starting QB in the first quarter of the 2001 SEC title game, and the backup rallied them from a 17-7 deficit to win . . . against Tennessee.

Too bad FSU didn't have depth at QB. It kind of helps.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

zag, quit padding you're post count.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with the BCS National Championship Game is just because you are able to "sell" a bill of goods, doesn't make the thing any more than a bill of goods.
    USC - Texas was legit because USC/Texas were the only two teams worth a shit that year - the BCS had nothing to do with it. It "worked" only in that the lawyers were able to get the Pac 10 and Big 10 to give up the Rose Bowl in their agreement.

Draft saved Draft deleted