1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS selection show thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Who do you believe should play in the BCS title game?

1. Ohio State

69 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. LSU

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Oklahoma

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Virginia Tech

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. USC

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. Georgia

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  7. Kansas

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Hawaii

31 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

barbara and i agree.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Hawaii is a middle-of-the-pack team (at best) in any major conference. Take the common OOC opponent of Hawaii and Boise State and you get a real picture of what the WAC is. Boise State lost a competitive game, on the road, to Washington. Hawaii, won a tight game, at home, against Washington. Washington, meanwhile, finished alone in the Pac-10's cellar. Connect-the-dots does not work in all settings but this is a pretty clear case of water finding its own level.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's not the argument. In fact, I agree with you. If Hawaii was in a power conference, they'd be lucky to be a middle of the pack team.

My argument is this: Look at what they did this season. They won 13 games prior to last night. No other team in the nation won 13 games. I'm not voting Hawaii No. 1 in the SJ poll. But I'm damn sure going to put them ahead of four loss Florida.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I drop Hawaii completely out, Boise lost to East Carolina too.

And these BCS pre-game shows really, really suck.

5. Lester Bangs

This is an honest question: Doesn't it strike you as intellectually dishonest to put Team A ahead of Team B when you know that, in all probability, Team B would stomp a mudhole in Team A's ass?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If we're going to say "Team X is most likely to shit-kick Team Y'' is the basis for poll voting, then I would ask you why, then, do we even play the games?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There are no more games to be played. What would you suggest?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I already said it. I'm going to drop the Warriors--can't keep them in the Top Five after last night's performance--but keep them ahead of Florida in my final SJ Top 25 ballot.

9. Lester Bangs

See, that's the thing. This ain't the NHL and not everybody will play each other. So, the theory behind the polls is that, because we cannot always settle it on the field, informed, supposedly intelligent observers (read: people who can reason) are asked their opinion about who is the better team at any given time. That process -- though imperfect by its nature as random morons will be given votes and will act as morons do -- is perverted when reasonable people do things like rank a Hawaii over Florida when it's damn obvious that the Bows would be ripped by the Gators. You, the voter, exist solely to offer an intelligent opinion on what would happen should two teams that will never meet need to be compared.

Draft saved Draft deleted