1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS selection show thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Who do you believe should play in the BCS title game?

1. Ohio State

69 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. LSU

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Oklahoma

25 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. Virginia Tech

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. USC

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  6. Georgia

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  7. Kansas

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Hawaii

31 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From Dodd today on sportsline:

The common assumption was that Ohio State would play LSU in the BCS title game in New Orleans. If Ohio State gets in, it will be playing in the Big Easy because of the big easy. It did not face a top 20 opponent all season (at game time in AP). The last time it didn't play at least one team in the top 20 was 1936, the first year of the AP poll.

It won a conference rated No. 6 by Sagarin with a schedule rated No. 73 by BCS guru Jerry Palm. And this is the nation's best team?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of all the BCS idiocy through the years, Ohio State playing in the title game this year is by far the most idiotic. I gave up years ago worrying about this crap.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wait, Illinois isn't a top 20 opponent?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The story said "at game time". And when OSU played Illinois, the Illini were ranked FIFTH ... in the others receiving votes category.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Rankings of OSU's opponents, when they played (coaches' poll, because that's what's easiest to find):

Purdue, 23
    Penn State, 25
    Wisconsin, 21
    Michigan, 21

Those teams' rankings now:
    Purdue: unranked
    Penn State: unranked
    Wisconsin: 16
    Michigan: unranked

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, FWIW, OSU's nonconference opponents:

Youngstown State -- I-AA
    Akron -- 4-8 in the MAC
    Washington -- 4-9 in the Pac-10
    Kent State -- 3-9 in the MAC

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That honor still goes to Nebraska playing Miami in the 2002 Rose Bowl. College football history is littered with controversial and undeserving champs, so this actually is in perfect sync with the sport's MO.

The two best teams in America right now are LSU and USC but it won't matter and nobody should be wept for this year. Whoever said this is the perfect situation for the old poll-style champ is right. This is a last-man-standing cage match kind of deal. The music has stopped and there is Ohio State with a seat ... and LSU will probably get the other and the Buckeyes will get another mud hole stomped in their asses by a better SEC squad.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Pssst, the real reason Hawaii won't be considered isn't necessarily their schedule so much as their conference. A tougher schedule wouldn't have made much difference for undefeated Hawaii as long as they're in a non-BCS conference, yet you CAN get away with a piddling ass schedule AND a loss or two and still be considered if you're in the Big 12 or Big 10 (see Kansas and OSU).

As the only candidate from a non-BCS conference, Hawaii's the LAST team that the greedy old guys who created this system and block a playoff want to see in that game. The system was created by major conf guys to serve their own financial interests. Last year they were begrudgingly forced to accept a non-BCS Conf team in a BCS Bowl for the first time, and lo and behold, Boise proved they can more than hold their own, but that won't make any difference for Hawaii's fate in this debate.

Hawaii won't get in, but I hope a lot vote for them, if nothing else just to make a statement.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If it's LSU-OSU in the BCS final, I'd love to see ...

Southern Cal-Oklahoma
    Georgia-Va. Tech

And then I'd like to see the AP title go to whichever team was most impressive in its BCS bowl game.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I wouldn't say Ohio State should be a slam dunk that everybody is making them out to be, but isn't USC the team that lost to 40-point underdog Stanford (at HOME) this year?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

ESPN stunned me with this graphic: SoCal has defeated TWO teams with a winning record.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's utterly beyond me all the love USC gets. Was routing Arizona State really that big a deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted