1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS championship game thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Official, soon-to-be-running BCS championship game thread

Which is why it is so ridiculous they choked against UCLA.
    I just don't understand who DyePack wants in the national championship game. I hate Florida with a passion, but I will be rooting for them later tonight just so everyone from the Big Ten will shut the hell up.
    Michigan showed it didn't deserve to be in the national championship, hell it probably didn't even deserve a BCS bowl with its performance, but I digress.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the words SEC Fanboy might come into play.

I remember Walden getting some press about it, but I think some people remembered it and dug him out for an interesting column now.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[/spoken in the "Back in my day" voice a la Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz]

Back in my day, college football ended on Jan. 1 with a bunch of bowl games and there was no clear champion ... and we LIKED IT!

I guess that's my way of saying I could not care less about this game. But then I pretty much don't give a squat about most sports nowadays. Hard to believe I used to live and die for the World Series and NBA Finals and Super Bowl and New Year's day and ... hell, I used to live for the baseball NBC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. Twenty-eight years in the business will do that to you.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the new adventures of old_tony.

I can relate in many ways, my man, but as a Division I beat writer, I'm looking forward to the game.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There was baseball on NBC? I remember basketball, but not baseball.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Angola must be younger than 30.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Indeed.

8. old_tony

Ah, yes. I remember in the 70s not being able to wait for "This Week in Baseball" with Mel Allen at noon on Saturday and then the NBC game of the week coming on at 1 (central time). Didn't matter who was in it, I watched the game every week. Of course, this was an era where there weren't 10 games a night on via satellite and cable. Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola on Saturday afternoons. Man, those were the days.

9. old_tony

Truth is, JD, I'll probably watch the game, but only if I have nothing better to do. I recall playing poker last year during the USC-Texas game and not caring enough to look up at the screen. In fact, I got knocked out of the game and headed home and didn't even know who won until I turned on SportsCenter when I got home. I think I'm supposed to care, but I just don't.

Honestly, I hate the idea of the game being set in early December and then there being a month from the last time the teams played till the "big game." And I think what I really hate about it all is how the New Year's Day games really don't mean squat. And then only one of the traditional New Year's Day games (the Rose Bowl this year) was played on New Year's this year, with the Orange and Sugar coming up on the 2nd and 3rd. I hate it. Didn't see a single play from either of those games. I hear the Boise State-Oklahoma game was a pretty good one.

It all kind of started with that 1987 Fiesta Bowl pairing No. 1 and 2 and moving back to the 2nd. I actually covered that game after covering the Rose Bowl the day before. I wasn't a college football writer at the time but my beat had taken me out to LA for a Dec. 31 game so I talked the bosses into letting me cover the Rose Bowl. Then, when they moved the Fiesta back a day, it made sense for me to scoot over to cover that one, too, before catching up with the basketball team I covered on Jan. 3. It was a heck of a trip.

Before 1987, the Fiesta Bowl was a second-tier bowl and the Cotton Bowl was a first-tier bowl where the winner of that game might end up as national champion. Now I don't even know when or where (or if) the Cotton Bowl is played, but it's about a third-tier game. Kind of too bad.

10. KP

KP Active Member

28 and I know the '86 WS was on NBC. :mad:

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's pointless to respond when the idiot admits he hasn't even seen Florida play, yet the SEC fanboys here latch onto the Big 10 comment like it means something.

The SEC fanboys are showing there's a large contingent of college football fans who are dumber than dirt.

Just a week ago, two Big 10 teams shut down two inept SEC offenses. Just a hint, SEC fanboys -- you may not want to be shouting about the Big 10 being soft when your overrated teams and their shitty offenses can't find their way past the 50.

This just in -- Tennessee and Arkansas are punting again, and the retarded SEC fanboys still think those two teams should be in the top 5.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I knew SEC fanboys were behind it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.