1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running BCS championship game thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Official, soon-to-be-running BCS championship game thread

How does it illustrate your point? In 1987 there weren't that many bowls, and most only offered tie-ins to conference champions, not the system we have now. Teams would get invited by whicever bowl wanted them. Initially Miami was going to play in the Orange Bowl (again no real tie-ins since Miami was independent) but the Fiesta managed to get them to go west.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not apples and oranges. Good team, weak offense ... like the Gators. Some thought Miami would easily cover the 14-point spread. Put two teams on the field, though, and anything can happen.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think Penn State was undefeated, though. Florida is not.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I see there's no response to the history lesson.....

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's meaningless. It has no bearing on this sham of a title game.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But weak offense ... nearly lost to Cincy ... barely beat Maryland ... if this were 20 years ago, you would make the same argument against Penn State as you have against the Gators.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

OK, so your complete ignorance of the history of how this whole 1 vs. 2 thing came about, a game that in a large way ushered in the formation of the BCS to have a true national title game, has nothing to do with this.

I was 10 and in England at the time, but since I write about football, amongst other things, I read up on the history of the game to understand how we reached this point. What's your excuse?

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Idiot fans? Now you hold on second there buddy. :D

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

How we reached this point: SEC fanboys.

THE END

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How we reached this point. The BCS. The insistence on having a 1 vs. 2 game to decide a national champion. Or do you forget how national titles were decided before that?

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

love how dyepack has such a one-sided, close-minded view of the situation and then declares the end of the conversation.

i hope you are not this way in real life and you just try to be a badass on the internet. it doesn't work, but it's a valient effort.

12. Re: Official, soon-to-be-running BCS championship game thread

The Florida defense is very fast, and it will interesting to see how they scheme against Ohio State's 4 and 5 WR sets. But I think that match-up favors Ohio State. Ginn and Gonzales will be the primary focus of attention, so I expect Smith to utilize Robiskie, Hall, and Hartline, explointing the other DBs.

Tressel and his staff also seem to do an excellent job of self-scouting. I would not be surprised to see them cross up the Florida defense by going two TEs and ramming Pittman and Wells down their throat.

Unless Ohio State turns the ball over 3+ times, they win by 13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.