1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running baseball thread unlucky number XIII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Gutter said after the day's games were over, the thread can be created. So...

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ah, that's nice.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just more room to set the elbows, scratch where it itches, you know?

Joba Chamberlain is now not available until 2011.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Curse you, Joba! (Yes, I'm going to keep saying that for a while).

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I saw a truly miserable baseball game today. As a result of which, I won't be posting further about my personal favorite team. I do think lousy player performances are likely to cost a good man his job. He'll get another quickly, I imagine; it happens all the time.

What in the world do the Phillies have over the Mets?

I'm interested to see how far Lou can take the Cubbies. From a couple of thousand miles away, that's a weird assemblage of players.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Eight straight wins. But the Mets have the lead in the division. But eight straight wins.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It was brought up on the other thread that Joba should replace Rivera. While Chamberlain has shown extreme poise and some phenominal stuff, I do not in any way shape or form replacing Rivera.

A pitcher like Joba, who has more than three pitches that he can go to for strikes, is a starter. The Yankees, if Mussina doesn't whine about it, could move Moose into that closer role similar to what Atlanta did with Smoltz. Mussina hasn't been great, but if you get him to concentrate on two pitches and work them, instead of the multitude that he has now, then his career could be extended and improved.

There is no reason to take a guy like Joba out of the starting rotation (a place he is more suited) in order to make room for the other guys. The Yankees rotation should be set with Wang, Petitte, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy. In a year, someone will need to replace Petitte.

Yesterday's Yankees win was pretty damn impressive. It did get hairy at the end, but the team came through and was able to get the final out.

The Yankees swept Boston in NY and won 2 of 3 in Fenway. Detroit is going to try and make a really strong push here but the Yankees should be able to hold on.

8. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Tigers have three with the Indians beginning today. They go in 4 1/2 back.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You had me with you right until you suggested making Mussina the closer and compared that move to putting Smoltz in the bullpen. Mussina is no John Smoltz and he never has been. Mussina is a prima donna who makes excuses when things go wrong. He also struggles without his precious routine, something a closer cannot have.

I agree that Chamberlain should return to starting next year, but somebody other than Mussina will have to close.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Is Rivera retiring?
    I'd still like to see Joba take over for Mariano when he is done. Last night's game reminded me of 1996, complete with Rivera saving games the way Wetteland used to - by making it interesting.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Rivera's a free agent, looking for one last big payday.
    My question is how much does he have left? Clearly, he's not the dominant Rivera anymore, where he comes into a game and you know its over.

I think it makes sense for the Yanks to use Rivera and Chamberlain in the same way that Torre used Rivera and John Wetteland in 1996; Chamberlain as the set-up guy and Rivera closes. In Rivera's final year, the roles could be reversed; Rivera setting up for Chamberlain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.