1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 2 Take 2: Wish You Were Here, Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 4, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Oz, I could never root against you or the Royals, even if you are wrong in this argument. :D

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Well I know you guys didn't see it, you traded him for Josh Bard, who is no poet.

But I'd imagine you're pissed that he outplayed Varitek by a shitload this season.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Re: Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 2 Take 2: Wish You Were Here, Derek J

I had also heard some rumors that the Red Sox were interested in one of the Rangers' young catchers (Salty or Teagarden)--no idea if there's any truth to that.

4. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

They have Max Ramirez, too.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm sure a lot of teams are interested in those catchers. Rumors had the Rangers offering one in a "serious" trade offer to the Royals for Greinke at the deadline. If the Red Sox would try and strike a deal, I would imagine it might cost a Buchholz, at least.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's not go sucking Kelly Shoppach's dick just yet.

His K/BB ratio this year was 133/36 in 352 ABs. I'm not sure he can remain effective striking out that often.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Do you think the Royals would seriously consider such a deal?

8. KP

KP Active Member

Fixed

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Royals reportedly said no, that they want to hammer out a contract extension for Greinke, who's scheduled to become a free agent in 2010.

The moment he got there, GM Dayton Moore stressed power arms in Kansas City, power arms in the minors. He traded away spare parts like Mike MacDougal and Jeremy Affeldt to work on pitching depth up and down the system. Given that, the only way I see the Royals doing a trade like that is if they know they can't work out a new deal. The Royals need more Greinkes, not less. Moore would probably have to be absolutely floored by the deal to do it.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

WFW. Tampa has done a hell of a job and everything came together in the year of the apocalypse, 2008.
    It's nice to have the AL East be a two-team race, as usual, Boston and Tampa, fighting it out at the top of the division for years to come.

Just because it's fun: Fuck the Yankees.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I think I heard somewhere... (no I don't have a link) that the FO was thinking about trying get a 2-year contract for Varitek, 1 guaranteed and an option for year 2...
    Tek has Boras as agent, but he ignored Boras last time around.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Have I ever told you how much I hate your guts? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted