1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Postseason Thread No. 2 Take 2: Wish You Were Here, Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Oct 4, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

First hit in Tampa Bay history -- Dave Martinez. He is now the Rays bench coach.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Do you think Varitek goes? I don't.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Me neither, but he doesn't get the 4 for 40 he got last time.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

As a real Sox fan, you had to be amused by the talk that he earned a contract with that HR last night, right?

5. KP

KP Active Member

There are no other options out there and management has failed to draft one. (Though I think they are high on one they just drafted this year.)

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So the Sawx have their catcher for 2011 and beyond, maybe? I bet that's a relief to all those who are familiar with the sure-thing status of baseball draftees.

7. KP

KP Active Member

No bigger crapshoot than the MLB Draft, but their track record has been more hits than misses.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right, but there was no way he earned the contract on one swing of the bat. Whether he's back or not depends on if he listens to Boras.

If he wants to come back for two years, with the understanding that his playing time will taper off over that span, he can finish in Boston. If he listens to Boras...enjoy the one-year, $500,000 deal he gets from somebody else on Feb. 27.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

2006 Tigers ... 2008 Rays ... 2010 Royals? I can dream ...

Oh, and thank you, Rays! Now I don't care who wins or losses the World Series, I'm OK either way!

10. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I bet you hate the fact that Kelly Shoppach was a throw-in in the Crisp for Marte deal.

11. KP

KP Active Member

I never thought he was going to be a 100-game option. When he first came up he was brutally overmatched at the plate. More so than Pedroia in '06/April '07.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definitely don't think the Sox saw Shoppach becoming as productive as he was this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted