1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Baseball Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Parrish didn't play for the Yankees.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not only that, but pitchers felt more confident throwing to Girardi than Posada.

Posada became the primary catcher in '99 (98 games started to 64 for Girardi). In '98, Posada started 85 games to Girardi's 76. 1997 was Girardi's last year as the primary starter (109-52), which was Posada's rookie season (except for two brief cups of coffee in 95 + 96), and the Yankees didn't really know what they were going to have.

So, Posada's whining about Giradi's costing him a shot at the HOF is BS.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

To be fair, I don't think Posada's ever said that, at least for public consumption. It's just the vibe I get. There was tension between the two back in the late '90s though that may just be b/c Girardi was as big a prick back then as now.

And I agree on all of Posada's defensive problems, but the guy put up huge offensive numbers at a position where huge offensive numbers get you into the Hall (see Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk and Mike Piazza, barring any steroid news in the next three years). On B-R, his HOF Monitor is 112 (likely HOF: 100) and his HOF Standards is 42 (likely HOF: 50). Five of his 10 most similar batters are in the HOF, including no. 1 (Fisk) and no. 2 (Gabby Hartnett). He's got a career peak that features nine 20-homer seasons (including a run in which he had 19 or more in eight straight years), eight 80-RBI seasons and seven .270 seasons.

Carter, BTW: Nine 20-homer seasons, seven 80-RBI seasons, six .270 seasons.

I wouldn't vote for Posada either, but by the standards already set he has an interesting case, and it would be REALLY interesting if he was a full-timer at 27 instead of 29.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I think Detroit bids for Carl Crawford. One of the Freep writers had a column on this and I think it makes a shitload of sense. You'd have a solid OF entering his prime who can steal bases. Crawford AND Austin Jackson at the top of that lineup? That'd be a hell of a 1-2 punch.

As for the Yankees? I don't think they get either Lee or Crawford. They'll be so busy trying to sign their own free agents. The Jeter negotiations are going to be long and drawn out. NY will get someone in free agency.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hope you're right on the Yankees, but it won't be because they lack the manpower or attention span to get it done.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Don't you have a Vince Young blow up doll to tend to? I know it won't take long, but still

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry if my truth-telling upsets you. You root for the biggest joke in pro sports. Deal with it.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I get the epic fail, and I have to deal with it daily. Are you recommending that the team try to cover this up?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm saying that any team worth a shit doesn't let this get out into the press. How fucking clueless do you have to be for news about the CLUBHOUSE MANAGER to leak out? It's not like an All-Star got busted.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

ChiSox? Not for that money. They've seen enough. They have enough current issues staring
    at their collective navels re Konerko, who figures to be gone-gone.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Dammit, I thought I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted