1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Australian Open Thread (2010 version)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 17, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Roddick is really an a-hole based on what little I've seen of him and the accounts given but he really played well in the 4th and 5th. That challenge at the end of the 4th was perfect on set point. His backhand has really come around; I used to think it held him back but he's hitting it harder and flatter. His fitness improvement is amazing. I really hope he gets another major so I don't have to see "2003 US Open" any longer.

Major props to Gonzalez, he was missing by millimeters on his challenges but played his a** off.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, Murray will probably sleep through it.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If it were the opening session maybe. Not at night.

This should be a terrific match.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, remember just a few years ago when it looked like the state of the men's game was perceived to be Federer and the rest of the field? Whereas the depth of the women's field was trumpeted?

Look at the men's draw now, all the big guns are there, Fed, Rafa, Joker, Murray, Roddick (too bad Del Potro was hurt (?) and is out). Great theatre starting with Rafa/Murray. I don't think Murray has the penetrating shots to take out Rafa (although he's done it before.) Go Rafa!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

All the big guns are thre, but the only really big guns are Federer and Nadal.
    The rest are pretenders.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Last time Murray and Nadal played in the Australian Open (2007), Nadal won in five sets, and Murray was 19.

I wouldn't call him, or Djokovic, or even Roddick after last year's Wimbledon final, pretenders.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

And they have won.....what?

Federer and Nadal have won 21 of the past 26 Grand Slam events.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You rather quickly forgot about Del Potro winning the U.S. Open last year.

Or that Murray won more ATP Tour titles than any player last season.

This landscape is shifting, and it's no longer a two-horse race.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

And DelPotro is out of Australia already. And Murray still hasn't won a big one.

I don't care who wins how many ATP events, the Grand Slams still belong to two guys.
    The landscape has not shifted that much.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

One of whom has only won multiple Slams at one event.

The only reason your 21 of 26 stat is so lopsided is because of Federer, not Nadal, who has still to make a final at the U.S. Open.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You're both right.

The men's draw is deep with talent but very limited with winners. Fact is I think five players have won majors since 2006. One of whom is retired. So you have four majors winners on the active tour.

Where as the women's draw is in many ways pathetic. I'm waiting for Martina to come out of retirement at Wimbledon and make the semis.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Roddick down a set and a break to Cilic, with his right shoulder being massaged on every changeover.
    Say g'nite Andy.

Draft saved Draft deleted