1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Aussie Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Because someone had to start it.

2. And because my second-favorite Russian (Dementieva) comes into the tourney hotter than that sticky stuff they play the tournament on.

Over/under on how many days until we get the obligatory Jelena Jankovic-getting-massaged-on-her-butt-by-a trainer picture?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can post last year's. I saved it ;)

I've got Murray and Serena winning, least in my head.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is Ashley Harkleroad in the women's draw?

As for the men, no way Nadal should be seeded ahead of Federer. Federer is a three-time champion, won the most recent Grand Slam. Both reached the semifinals last year. Nadal has never reached the finals in Australia.

4. sportschick

I think Ashley's pregnant.

And yes, Nadal should be ahead of Federer. He's the better player or was last season. Hell, you could make a case for Murray deserving to be ahead of Federer, given that he seems to have Fed's number.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The players go berserk when a tournament tries to seed based on surface/past performance.

Wimbledon is the only event that can get away with it now. Even the French goes strictly by rankings (which looked really silly with Nadal seeded behind Federer at the French year after year).

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Federer beat Murray at the US Open final, which was the most recent Grand Slam.

I do think historic performance at an event should count for something at that event. Although, I'm not sure it really matters who is No. 1 and No. 2.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And since then, Murray's beaten Federer four straight, to take a 5-2 all-time advantage.

If Murray does it, and I think he's got a better chance than most, I will be bouncing off the walls. 

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Anybody watching this Lopez-Muller match? Is it live?

9. sportschick

It's live, FWIW.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Longest match (in terms of time) going on. 15-14 Muller in the fifth, No. 27 Lopez serving to keep the match going.

Of course, it's on one of the outside courts, so it looks like a couple guys at a city park. Nice view of the Melbourne skyline, though.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nothing better about attending a session at a pro tennis tournament than these outside courts. Two years ago at Indian Wells, I watched Jankovic destroy some scrub from about 10 feet away and eye level with the court. Then I went over to another court and sat on some bleachers to watch Baghdatis struggle to beat a different scrub in five sets. What a cool experience.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Daniela Hantuchova is a first-class hottie and my favorite player on the WTA Tour (with apologies to Ashley Harkleroad). But, damn, watching some of her matches can be like water-torture. About a zillion unforced errors in a two-hour, two-set win over Australian Casey Dellacqua. (13-11 in the first-set tiebreaker.)

For heaven's sake, why does she always have to be so darn tight? Just relax, open up and hit your shots. She's got good strokes, just a major brain cramp at times. Had a GREAT shot to get to the final last year before gagging big-time against Ana Ivanovic. Poor girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted