1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Aussie Open Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It was four in a row and 5 out of 6 in 2002-03... ancient history.
    She has not been a factor for nearly 3 years and will always have an excuse when she loses.
    Currently ranked 94th in the world.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I know next to nothing about tennis, except that all the middle aged housewives play it at my gym when I'm there since their hubbys roll in the dough and let them play tennis and sip tea afterwards. So why is JHH so universally disliked?

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Serena's old and banged up and disinterested. I don't hear much excuses from her, she's not who she used to be and she couldn't keep up that level of play.

Might sound like an excuse but neither she nor Venus was the same after their sister was murdered. She won Wimbledon in 2003, her sister was murdered right after the U.S. Open in 2003 and neither has been the same since then and really started to get involved in other aspects of their life.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, noles, but as Mary Carrillo said earlier on tongiht's broadcast, James Blake lost his father, broke his neck, was nearly paralyzed and has fought back to his higest ranking

Yes, Serena has been through a lot but, to quote Carrillo--my favorite tennis anouncer -- "I realize a lot has gone on in her life, but I look at Blake and I would just like to see Serena care as much in 2007 as James Blake does and see where it would get her."

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh a variety of things. A bit of dirty play against Serena in the French Open a few years back that caused Serena to double fault is why I began to dislike her. Then there's her "I'm cramping" withdrawal at the Aussie Open last year (sorry, I'm a girl. You play through your cramps).

She's just not a nice person from what I've seen, plus her name is too long for heds.

6. Flying Headbutt

How do you play dirty in tennis?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Serena went to serve, little bitch waved her off (the not ready wave thingie), little bitch then denied doing it and Serena double faulted.

Plus she's ugly and her mother dresses her funny.

8. Flying Headbutt

See, it's sissy rules like that which keep tennis from getting really big here. Waiving off? Just get ready and hit the ball. Quiet please? Loud noise heading into a big serve with momentum and adrenaline would be fantastic to watch.

But I'm not trying to jack this among the serious tennis people. But aren't there some tournaments that allow all that? And aren't they considered some of the most fun to watch?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Team tennis is kind of lax with the noise regulations.

And of course, the Paraguayan crowd (among others) at a Davis Cup match can be rather unruly.

But regular tour events pretty much demand their fans keep quiet during the points.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The drunken Cypriots in Melbourne tonight where chanting between points of Baghdatis' match, then would be quiet during the points. It was a riot to listen to

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Serena won easily, in part because her opponent was awful, but her ass has never been bigger.

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

All true, but what has James Blake accomplished. He's never been a champion (in the tennis world, otherwise I think he's a hell of a guy), Serena has been a champion, she has completely dominated women's tennis at some point. Blake's never been there, he should be hungry if he wants to reach that level. I know everyone wants to see her continue to play like she used to but I don't see her reaching that level again.

Draft saved Draft deleted