1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running athletes busted for gambling thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 8, 2023.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, this legalized sports betting thing seems to be going just great...

Dog8Cats, garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ohtani has been on an MLB roster and he’s still claiming to not speak English?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No hablo ingles

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

New Balance: We Got Now (+130)

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be wise when dealing with Ohtani for a news org to bring their own interpreter - don't you think?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don’t know; to me that tracks since he exhibited no behavior at all to anyone at UC Riverside.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sources: NBA eyes Raptors' Porter over betting

The scandals going forward won't be huge ones about game fixes, they'll be a thousand minor ones like these down-bench NBA nobodies who -- shocking! -- fail to hit a 3-pointer and make a bunch of cash for their "friends."

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think he's not confident in his English to comfortably take and answer questions. There was a story about when Ippei made the announcement to the locker room that Ohtani paid off his debt, Ohtani understood enough to have a WTF moment. It would make sense he knows some English but isn't good enough to use it in a presser. I have the same problem with Spanish. I'm around it enough and am forced to use it enough that I should be a better speaker than I am. I'm just not. At some point, if I'm trying to communicate complex ideas it all falls apart for me. It's also very hard to learn past a certain age.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's likw that fr me with French. Mu written and aural comprehension is good enough for me to know what's going on around me, but my speaking ability is miles and miles behind that. And without practice, it erodes fiurther.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In a few years when 97 percent of sports fans have crippling gambling addictions ESPN will have Van Pelt quietly retire Bad Beats the same way they moved away from Jacked Up clips.

Neutral Corner and matt_garth like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted