1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "ask a zealot" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, May 10, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So if you're "right" does that mean everyone else is "wrong"? Do you see it as your job to convince them they are "wrong"?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

That seems to be just about what I feel. I credit him with nudging me into my choice of college (which, my parents will tell you is pretty random). I didn't credit him with it at the time. But when I look back and see how things played out, on so many different levels, it's maybe the one time in my life I look at and see that "hey, maybe there was a plan here."

Did you feel the nudges at the time, or where your more of a reflection thing? (You seem to have a better relationship than I do, so maybe that's why I only saw it in retrospect).

3. I do believe I'm right. That means that those who don't believe what I do are wrong.
    However, I also know I'm imperfect, so it's quite possible that I'm wrong.
    That's part of the reason I enjoy discussing religion. I strongly believe what I believe, but if I am wrong, I want every opportunity to figure that out.
    It is not my job to convince anyone of anything. I can only tell people what I believe and why. I can't make them change their minds.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Throughout human history, there have been thousands of explanations for life, theories of higher powers and what those powers do and do not want us to do. From the depths of Africa last week, Polynesian islands 10,000 years ago, wherever.

How much ego (or, in my mind, delusion) does it take to think that of all the times/places/people you could have been born to, that you happened to have been born into the exact universal time and belief system that just happens to be exactly the right one?

Really? This version of the creator, which is the dominant one in this society in this time, is just by chance the right one? Then you are a one-in-a-billion motherfucker to have the answer to the universe.

It's just absurd when you think of it as a logical person, isn't it?

I actually believe that religion generally does more good than harm, which is unusual among agnostics, but for all the comfort it provides, I don't understand how a thinking person can sign on.

5. I've had both. I have times that I can almost hear words. They are never audible, but I've had what I consider pretty clear communication in my head from God. (The Bible refers to that as a "still, small voice" and it's easy to miss.)
    I believe this happens often to almost everyone, but usually we just think it's our own thoughts.
    I get general feelings about things more often, and even more often I look back and see how things worked out and become convinced it was divine guidance.
    It's not 100 percent, of course. I had a period of about six months several years ago when I was just certain God was working to prepare me for the death of a loved one. I have no idea why I though that, but I didn't lose anyone anywhere near that time, thank God.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well said.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What are your thoughts toward people who are not religious? Do you feel sorry for them? Do you think they have a less-full life than you do? Would you ever elect one as president?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

People who are not religious are lazy! [/crossthreading]

9. First, I apply quite a bit of logic to my beliefs. That's part of the reason for this thread. If you want any explanations of where that logic is, let me know where you see any logical problems and I'll be happy to respond.
    As for your other point about being born in the right place, that's an age-old issue.
    Here's the thing: I believe the evidence of God is all around us. Those who can't see that are choosing not to. How can you look at the order in the universe and not believe there is SOME higher power that is guiding it?
    As for my brand being correct, I'm not saying I'm 100 percent right. I am saying I'm 100 percent convinced that I'm right on what matters. I think that's an important difference.
    But to turn it on its head, you could argue there must be something to Christianity or it wouldn't have thrived the way it has after such a weak beginning. The face of the movement was killed and his followers cowered for three days.
    The Romans and Jews tried to wipe out the "Jesus Movement" entirely in the beginning but it continued because of the belief of those who were around to see Jesus, including after his crucifixion.
    I believe I was fortunate to have been born into a Christian society, yes, but I am the type of person that I am always seeking the truth. I don't believe in Jesus because my neighbors do, I assure you.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Let me add a twist to Cadet's question: Do you, as a Christian, believe that anyone who doesn't believe in God is going to Hell?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree with this 100 percent. I think it's arrogant of anyone to believe they can ultimately figure everything out. Some things are beyond human comprehension.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Says you. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted