1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running AP gripe thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm assuming AP has just stopped running agate on the LPGA Tour events. Granted, it's not a real high priority at this time of the year, but I had been running the results for most of the season. But nothing coming over the wire in the past four weeks.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

dear ap,

i see you've retooled the exchange somewhat. eh, it's stilll the same unless there are new features that are invisible.

i have a question: how in tarnations do you turn the auto-update off? no, really, it's annoying.

now for the biggest gripe: i am a visual person. i use standalone pics liberally (well, when there is space). do you think you can start uploading those kinds of really cool pictures again? don't get me wrong, fashion show shots are great, but i need more variety (cute kids, cute animals, sexy shots with vibrant colors, etc.).

thanks,
    xan

this post will auto-update in 5 seconds.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the new style for standings in the NHL and a couple of the larger minor leagues, adding a "games played" column? Good idea, or another step in the soccerification of America? I needed to have the paragraph styles rewritten anyway since we went to narrow width during hockey's offseason, this just hastened it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hate it. Just one more column to delete to make it fit.

Why don't they do that with the other sports where not all teams have the same number of games played?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It'll be beneficial late in the season when you're trying to figure out games-in-hand scenarios.
    We've got a guy redesigning some of the template pages and he's a hockey fan. So he made the standings template wider than it used to be. Before, they were unreadable when teams got to triple figures in goals and goals-against, then later to 100 points.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Can I get a WVU-Portland writethru and box sometime this century?

Jesus Christ, the last 2:00 of game action took about a half hour of real time.

EDIT: And, of course, the first writethru sent nearly 20 minutes later is 5.9 inches. WTF.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bumping up for spring training ...

Hey AP (or Stats LLC): Would it be too much to ask, when moving the spring training linescores, to somehow indicate in games involving teams from Los Angeles, Chicago or New York, which team is playing, like you did in the good ol' days (say, last spring?) with an N or A?

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I had no idea New York still had a National League team.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

No Big Ten Player of the Year story. There was however a Mountain West Player of the Year story. You've got to be kidding me.

10. A little off-topic, but... really, AP Style Guide? We're still capitalizing Web and Internet? What is this, 1997?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

On spring training, when it comes to Rangers-Indians gamers, feel free to mix in a little Rangers info and quit jizzing over Jake Westbrook. Just a little. Thx.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Considering the Indians-Rangers game was postponed because of rain and Texas didn't make the bus trip to the ballpark, this is a strange complaint. He worked with what he had at the ballpark.

And Westbrook hasn't pitched in two years, His contract tied the Indians hands into trading a pair of Cy Young Award winners. He's kind of a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted