1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Costa Rica isn't quitting. And today, it was obvious.

I still don't see them doing much in this tournament, but they certainly showed that the Germans aren't as strong as they would like to think they are.

2. You have to love the fight of the Costa Ricans.

Im dispirited for not being in Germany

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

C'mon man, I just think it's funny.

4. KP

KP Active Member

The people who got tickets were lucky on the day. I just didn't have luck on my side when the ticket allotment came out.
    Good to see Jack Edwards voice make an appearance.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What match were you guys watching? Germany dominated possession, created probably triple the scoring chances, and were clearly the better team. Wanchope beat the offside trap once -- good on him -- and was gifted a goal when he was offsides on the second one.

I agree that they didn't quit, but c'mon. This could have been 5-1.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Still can't believe how sweet that Fringes shot was. Fricken incredible.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My bad. I read a lot of soccer magazines and stories, and I get caught up in writing that style sometimes.

It was driving me nuts, for example, that Dave O'Brien didn't use terms like "strike" instead of "kick" and didn't use terms like "space", etc. I watch too many English broadcasts, I shouldn't expect that nomenclature out of an American broadcast.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jack Edwards: pride of Oyster River High.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Caught most of the match in a usually English bar which was overrun by Germans. Disturbing. I felt like asking if anyone knew where my grandparents' stuff was.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Most of us Krauts speak better English than the average bloke from Bow. I'm not worried. Their money is just as green as ours.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, this is definitely true, but going in Costa Rica shouldn't have been able to hit any shots on net. They are definitely not known for their defense and overall play only up to their speed.

Germany held possession but it was a bit sloppy at times. And they never took a truly commanding lead. Going up by 2, they allowed in one.

I also think one of the off-sides calls was incorrect on the Ticos. Add in the small run of play where Wanchope could have taken advantage and pushed forward, but instead just pushed the ball out of bounds due to the player on the ground.

12. dave o'brien sucks

Draft saved Draft deleted