1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running, all-purpose World Cup thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 9, 2006.

1. What I like about Klinsy is that he's not going to pull players on the team just because they are big names in MLS or abroad. He's going to take players that can help the seleccion win. Then again, he showed a lot of loyalty to a tired, slow and injured Michael Ballack. Did anyone notice that the two games that Germany played without Ballack, they scored 7 goals. The other five....7.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While those guys are definitely in the pool, I was referring more to those that are significant locks at earning a spot.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

26 miles from H.B to Home Depot Center.

25-45 minutes depending on the traffic.

Do-able!!

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

FIFA may strip Zidane of the Golden Ball.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5776646

As it certainly should.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think they should strip him of the Golden Ball. I just think those who voted him first should have gone with Cannavaro or Buffon, instead of being seduced by his (admittedly great) old-warrior story.

But at least he has his "honour" according to his mommy.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why should he be stripped? FIFA set the voting at halftime of the World Cup Final. As such, the award is set to that time frame. Unless FIFA has some rule about making inelligable any and all receivers of red cards, he should not lose it.

I look at it the same way many view the MLB MVP award. A player receives it and then goes into a slump in the playoffs. Suddenly there are calls for that player not being the MVP. With that being a regular season award.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

JK on reports he's been approached to take over the USMNT...

“There is absolutely no interest on my side and no contact,” he said.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Crass: My understanding is that voting actually concluded at midnight following the final, accounting for the Monday release of the results. So it is different. (And I still can't figure out how anyone could justify voting for him after what happened).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Say you're an ace pitcher with a 23-5 record, 1.93 ERA. Your team is tied for the division lead on the last day of the season. 0-0 tie in the ninth inning.

Bases loaded with 2 outs. The opposing batter steps out of the box, shouts out to the mound, "Your mother sucks cocks in hell."

You step back on the mound, and drill him in the head, forcing in the winning run.

Should you be voted the MVP??

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Starman, I never endorsed what he did. I think it is pretty fucked and certainly impacted the game. However, it didn't force a goal and it didn't definitely cause France to lose. They could have lost anyway.

I will also point out that there are plenty pitchers that do throw at opposing batters for a variety of reasons, some of which include the batter simply hitting a home run in their previous plate appearance.

There was lots of nasty play. This was just the most blatant.

Additionally, like others, I don't really think he should have been MVP to begin with. However, it is what it is.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Bob Bradley is straight off the Arena coaching tree ... doubt he'd get the gig, especially after how his Metrostars stint blew up near the end. Fat Sigi could work, and he has a history of giving young'uns a chance.

Klinsmann would, if nothing else, show a step forward in ambition and expectations at Soccer House.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So Pearce and Spector are locks over guys like Cherundolo and Bocanegra, who have actually done the job? Whitbread, at least, saw consistent playing time when he went out on loan.

No one should be a lock for a spot right now, especially after that collective bed-shatting.

Draft saved Draft deleted