1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running (albeit late) 2012 Aussie Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is some sick stuff going on. At this point, just split the trophy.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Djoker. Just Wow!

What a great match.

3. MileHigh

Great win for Djokovic. Five hours, 53 minutes ending at 1:35 a.m. in Melbourne.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Epic match, one for the ages indeed.

Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Federer. Clearly the top four. Who's No. 5?

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Damn. I only caught match point. Wish I'd been able to see more. Sounds like it goes on the short list of the very best matches ever.

I've heard the announcers mention a backhand Nadal missed at 4-2 (I think) in the fifth set. Can anyone explain what happened? It sounds like a turning point.

6. MileHigh

4-2, 30-15. Missed it to get to 30-30 and helped the Joker break back after Nadal had just broken in the sixth game.

Joker broke at 5-5 and Nadal got a break point in the 12th game but lost the next three points and the match.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Fifth set is on ESPN2 now.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think we can include Murray. He hasn't won anything.

There's a 1, a 1A and 1B. There is no 2.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Before the Aussie semifinal, I don't think Murray was really part of the conversation. He is now.

I don't like Djokovic, but good God can the man play defense and hit winners from anywhere. The work he put in to win the quarters, semis and the final is just amazing.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Watched the last three sets this a.m. It was boxing without the blood. Freaking brilliant tennis match

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Nadal looked absolutely gutted after the match. I know the boxing/tennis analogy can get overworked, I have to wonder if this isn't the type of loss that could have an impact on Nadal's confidence moving forward.

About four or five times in the last set, Djokovich hit returns at angles that didn't seem possible. Like, slicing cross-court winners on balls at the max of his forehand reach. Simply stunning stuff to watch.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

This era has been described as Golden Age of Tennis. Is it?

Are Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray better group than Borg, Connors, Lendl and McEnroe?

Draft saved Draft deleted