1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I buy that. Serena's belief in herself is so strong that it would take a lot of time and a lot of unfavorable results before she KNOWS she's not likely to win. She's not going to face a player once or twice and go, "Nope, I can't win. I'm out."

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Plus, Serena wants that record so bad. She won't retire until it is absolutely clear she has no shot at winning No. 24.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If said player had won 5 of the last 8 majors, I think it'd be a clearer conversation. We just don't know because the sport doesn't have that player.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Serena is the most intimidating player that I’ve ever seen. When she was on her game, she simply could not be beat and top-10 players crumbled in front of her. Alma is right, the reason why she will continue to push is that she looks out there and doesn’t see a player who is definitely and consistently better.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Even if she did she wouldn't believe it.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Find me a great athlete who lacks that trait.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She has it more than most. A lot of athletes can get their confidence shaken easily. I've never even seen Serena's waver for an instant.

She has known since she was a teenager that she is the best player ever. Not thought it or hoped for it -- she KNOWS it. It's part of what makes her so intimidating.

That does not go away easily.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's why when she loses, it's usually not about her opponent for her -- it's about something she didn't do. Because in her mind, if she does what she's supposed to, she will win. Always. No matter what the opponent does.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Let me clarify that like you, I think Serena will retire when she is finally convinced she can't win. She won't hang around just to play and be pretty good. She needs to be the best.

But I don't think that has anything to do with any other player(s). It will have to come from within -- as in, her body tells her convincingly enough that she can no longer do it, or she gets mentally exhausted by the effort and decides it's no longer worth it.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've had the discussion before about the difference between Federer and Serena, who are the same age.

Roger loves tennis. He wants to win, but he really loves the game.

Serena loves winning. She's great at tennis, but she really loves winning.

After his win this morning, Roger was asked what he was thinking when he was down 8-4 in the fifth-set tiebreak.

Here's what he said: "[Millman] was doing all the right stuff at the beginning of the breaker, coming up with the goods. I thought, 'OK, I tried. I guess I didn’t play too bad.' I was getting ready to explain myself in the press conference."

I'd be willing to bet such a thought would never enter Serena's head.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I bet most competitors in individual sports feel that way, especially at the highest levels. But civility and sportsmanship and just plain decent and manners ought to win out more often that not. Say my opponent was great. I wish I did somethings differently. Or say I should have moved quicker on the return of service to get in better position to hit a winner. But she rarely does that, its the exception when she credits and opponent and when she does, she's lauded for it from the media.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Two things:

Sofia Kenin is nails.

Fabio Fognini is a dick.

That is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted