1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's Dementieva-esque. Being a fan of her was terribly frustrating.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wasn't she once the Next Big Thing?

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

She had some success in the mid-2010s, then a head injury after slipping on a wet locker room floor started a downward spiral.

4. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

I remember watching a men's match last year and there was a game in which a player double-faulted five times in one game and, somehow, still won it. Coco had a game yesterday with four consecutive doubles -- good if you're playing baseball, but not tennis.

5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Danielle Collins — now there’s a player who’s easy to root against.

6. BTExpress

A qualifier ranked No. 131 is into the French Open semifinals.

A qualifier who two weeks ago had never won a main-draw match at a Grand Slam event, never beaten a Top 50 player and never won back-to-back matches on the WTA Tour.

Nadia Podorska will play either Martina Trevisan (another qualifier) or Iga Swiatek (unseeded Polish teenager) for a spot in the final. Swiatek clobbered No. 1 Simona Halep 6-2, 6-1 on Sunday.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Schwartzman makes his first major semifinal by taking out Thiem in a five-set epic (I know, it's a cliche, but...) that took five hours, eight minutes.

Nadal is likely next. Don't forget, Schwartzman beat him in Rome a couple weeks ago. Guy is on a roll.

8. BTExpress

Amazing run by Polish teenager Iga Swiatek. Hasn't given up more than four games in any set and has lost only 23 games through six matches.

Didn't see her match but read that she banished her boyfriend/trainer to another place in the stadium because he was "distracting" her.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Her screaming is out of control.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I missed the early match, but I can tell you Kenin is playing fantastic in this one. Very sharp, very opportunistic. Loving her use of the drop shot.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

74 percent of first serves in and 70 percent points won on first serve makes it very hard for your opponent to break serve.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Her second serve has been a big problem, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted