1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Is there a Ross course that has not been updated/redone that stands up to today's game? Great designer in his day. Just not today.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pinehurst No. 2 does OK.

3. MileHigh

Completely redesigned for the 2014 U.S. Open.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Uh, they have. You might try Google and 30 seconds of your time.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Golfers have usually avoided that kind of NASCAR self-plugging. When asked about their equipment, they'll gladly plug their club or ball manufacturer but most of them never went out of their way until Bryson the Human Brand.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm with you. The guy who won last year as the third alternate (Lashley). The runnerup (Redman) was a Monday qualifier. They're not going to get Oakland Hills every year and I'm wondering if there isn't a tougher course in the Detroit area.
    I also suspect the Tour is backing off course set-up to create the birdie-fests in the first few tournaments for TV purposes. Can't wait until the Memorial in two weeks. Jack is usually given free rein to toughen Muirfield Village.

7. MileHigh

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m okay with Detroit Golf Club. Yeah Bryson scorched some of holes but the greens were not easy and if you missed the fairways it was tough at times. Wolff shot 38 on the front 9. It was fun golf and many guys were having a tough time; look at Armour, Merritt, Kilner, they hit it a long way and it wasn’t a 10 footer for birdie every time. There was some nice subtleties to the course. Did you notice how 1 wasn’t an easy birdie even how short it was? Or how Wolff didn’t birdie the last Par 5 because of the rough?

BTW rooting for Wolff, kid from single mom in LA, great story.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Bryson averaged 350 yards a drive in Detroit. The PGA average drive is about 305 yards. How long will it be before college golfers look like linebackers on the football team. If the collegiate kids adopt training techniques similar to Bryson that will only take a summer.

And if one guy does it then 10 more will and then it will be something everyone has to do in order to compete.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see a course that required shotmaking and imagination instead of just brute strength off the tee. Narrower fairways, trees, sand and water. Play driver at your own risk. More US Open-type courses. Seeing guys go -20 or more isn’t very entertaining, and that’s what made Woods’ first US Open compelling, that he was the only one under par because of all the par saves he made.

Now get off my lawn.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think Bryson is a complete asswipe. But he hit it 350 down the middle of the fairway. It ain't frigging easy to do.

rtse11 and qtlaw like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll be curious to see if Muirfield is set up differently for the Workday event than the Memorial. If you play them the same, then you'll have it a little bit torn up for Jack's event. Edit: They will be different.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted