1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, NASCAR used to do this shit back in the day.

It's still baffling to me that when graphics go up on golf telecasts, it doesn't show what place the player is in in the tournament being played at the time.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes it does. I suppose not often enough for you. But I whatever one thinks of the CBS/NBC/Golf Channel talent, they go in and out of commercials with the leaderboard up there, and have the crawler going at the bottom. Your problem appears to be that they want to include the FedEx Cup points and you and other hand-wringers think it's awful. A sport has to right to inform viewers where its participants stand both that week and for the season. Again, don't like it, use the time to get another beer.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Patrick Reed deflects latest criticism from Brooks Koepka and Peter Kostis - Golf Digest

When a follow-up question was asked — if Reed was at all bothered that the topic of what happened in the Bahamas keeps coming up and following him — an official from the PGA Tour ended the interview, saying that Reed was only there to talk about golf.

Reed can't run from this forever, though he's going to try and the Tour will help as much as it can. Ugh.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hondo carries water for the tour unlike any other.

Its actually quite impressive.

Moderator1 likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Isn't the incident, ah actually golf??

Man Kostis' specifics are the worst cheating I've ever heard of in 50+ yrs of following golf. When I see Reed now I see "Cheater"; just like Kuchar is "Cheap Ass".

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Former teacher of mine is/was a longtime golf writer and said Reed comes off as the angriest sumbitch he's ever interviewed.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That should have been the reporter's reply: "Yeah, this IS about golf."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Hondo isn't the biggest whore for the Tour on this board, he'll sure stand on the street corners until the whores get there.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did baseball writers who agreed with the DH, football writers who were against wild cards added to the playoffs or basketball players okay with the 3-point shot called "whores" for those leagues? I remember a lot of media were against those two changes back in the day. But everyone accepted it. No one I know of complained when a DH won a batting or home run title, or when a wild card advanced in the playoffs.
    The level of negativity towards a pro sports league simply adding a competitive twist to its season is kind of dumbfounding.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Reed gets punished for his antics and attitude in ways we don't always see. He never plays practice rounds with other guys. He never engages in range and putting green banter. He's been a pariah among his peers but in the past it was a simple reason: they thought he was an asshole. Now that they know he's a cheating asshole, his life just got a whole lot more lonely. All he has is the control-freak wife (who's part of the problem in the first place) and his yes-man brother in law for a caddie. That's sad, but he brought it all on himself.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Companionship is the real best part of golf. Without, it really is a stupid silly game. If Reed's cut off from that, it's a real punishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted