1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Bethpage crowd is going to disappoint.

playthrough likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They didn’t at the PGA

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Barracuda Open, set for July 2-5, moving from course in Reno to one just 15 minutes away. Well, 30 miles ... but it takes only 15 minutes!

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is a very thought-provoking column by Shipnuck:

Can 'fanboys' and traditional golf journalists coexist on the golf beat?

I was talking to a friend about some of this the other day; I'm in my mid-40s and an ex-scribe and sort of feel in the middle of journalist vs. fanboy and not completely enamored with either side as a golf media consumer. I know all too well the shrinking press rooms and such, but there's no excuse for the clickbait that is so often produced at golf.com, Golf Digest and other mainstream outlets. To still have a seat at the table is such a gift, and it's squandered by regurgitating twitter and other crap. On the fanboy side, I listen to No Laying Up podcasts after many tournaments and download some of their interviews, but I'm not deep enough into the group to know all the inside jokes and such, so I can only listen to so much. There's not enough hours in the day so I don't do any other fringe golf podcasts or websites, though perhaps I should search out something new.

And I have next to zero interest in the insular world of "golf twitter" where both factions live and sometimes collide (hence Shipnuck's piece). The Barstool vs. Harig thing disgusted me on both sides. Barstool is Barstool and I'm not a fan, but Harig should have just let it go because arguing with those guys turns into an avalanche that you can't fight your way out of and I felt embarrassed for him.

Anyhoo ... pretty good offseason fodder.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Man, that basically describes NASCAR in a nutshell as well, or at least until 2012. (I'm certain other beat writers in other niche sports would nod in approval.)

You've got one group of writers who are writing not for the general public, but trying to impress the other "cool kids" in the media center (and PR people) with their insider-ness. Then there are the bloggers and hangers-on just there for the experience of rubbing shoulders with Junior or Jimmie for a weekend. And somewhere in between, a tiny group of journalists actually trying to write what's actually happening instead of the weekend personality soap opera. And as the media center population keeps shrinking, I have no idea which group will win.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

When the story becomes "here's what Patrick Reed/Kyle Busch did to be a dick this week" instead of who won and why, we're not actually covering the sport any more. And even though that may be more clickable to the non-sports public, I still don't believe that's what the majority of actual fans want to know. Voyeur journalism is not self-sustaining unless you're TMZ.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's another version of the old guard vs. young bucks discussion we see when another round of layoffs hits.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Times. They are a changing.

maumann likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nahhhhh, they've already changed.

Chef2 and maumann like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I swear I can hear someone sawing logs on tonight’s Tournament of Champions broadcast from Hawaii.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Very funny. Posting here because it's at Pebble Beach. Could be posted in an NFL thread.

Chef2 and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted