1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Random question from someone who has a pretty loose following of golf.

Since they are both just shameless ways to make money, why do people give a shit about the Ryder Cup but no one seems to care about the President's Cup?

People decry a bad Ryder's Cup performance like it actually means something in the story of someone's career (it doesn't unless they haven't done another fucking thing in the sport, which likely they have because they would have made the team otherwise), but a bad President's Cup performance is treated like the non-story is it.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's my view of it from someone who follows loosely but really doesn't know much. Hondo or Playthrough or some of the others who actually know golf please correct me (gently) if I'm wrong.

The Ryder Cup has a much longer history, more tradition. Plus, it used to be one-sided and then Europe got good and started winning and it got to be a pretty intense and at times rancorous competition.

The Presidents Cup has no tradition at all. It was an event created, at least I think, because some non-American stars at the time like Norman and Singh weren't European and couldn't play in the Ryder Cup. So now they have this thing and, as far as I know, no one really gives much of a shit.

Again, I could be wrong here.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much spot-on.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

All true. I think most golf fans recognize the cash grab that it is, and with every U.S. win it just looks less legitimate.

And the Tour tries so darned hard to make it look and feel like a Ryder Cup, just like they try to make The Players look like a major. It's exhausting.

BitterYoungMatador2 and qtlaw like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Ryder Cup was pretty much irrelevant well into the 80s until Seve and the Euros started winning and it became an even fight. When Jack conceded that putt to Jacklin, the US had already dominated for 50+ yrs, not a big deal. Do it in 2020? Now then it’s a huge deal.

Spot on, Presidents Cup means zilch because no history. It’s like “since Bobby gets a bike, Mikey (rest of world) should get one too “.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No one cared any more about the Ryder Cup before the 1980s than they do about the Presidents Cup now, because the U.S. dominated. Then they let continental Europe in the mix, which brought in Seve and the rest of the Spanish Armada (Olazabal, Sergio), Langer and various Swedes.
    As is the case with American fans, they don't care about something until they're getting their asses whipped (see Ryder Cup, 1972 Olympic basketball, America's Cup).
    I've talked to old-school PGA Tour stars and they said they hung out with the Great Britain/Ireland Ryder Cup players the week of the event more than their their teammates. TV networks had to be begged to give them two hours on Saturday and Sunday.
    The Presidents Cup probably would have gained quicker acceptance if the early stars such as Norman, Price, Vijay and Ernie had been followed with a young crop of stars who were just as good from those countries. Except for Adam Scott, Jason Day (who's always hurt or ill) and maybe Oosthuizen, there's been a bit of talent gap, with no true superstar coming out of those areas to form a strong Prez Cup team.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Tour has every right to promote the Players as it sees fit. Since there is no governing body of golf that has ever decreed that the Masters, U.S. Open, PGA and Open Championship are the accepted majors (it's been players and the traditional golf media that has carried that banner), who's to say? When Bobby Jones was in his prime, it was the U.S. and Open, and the U.S. and Open Amateurs.
    Are you trying to tell me Augusta National doesn't promote the Masters (ESPN starts running commercials during bowl season, and that has to be with the blessing of the club)? That the USGA doesn't promote the U.S. Open (they got the fat FOX contract)?
    This is America. If you make a product or provide a service, you're allowed to market it and let it rise or fall based on demand. The Players has usually had the richest purse in golf (the US Open has been competing with them in recent years), with the best top-to-bottom field (no amateurs, no local and sectional qualifiers, no lifetime champions (they get five years), attendance has been up for years and NBC/Golf Channel does everything it can to hold onto it.
    The only reason it isn't a major is that Tiger hasn't said so.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think among rank-and-file golfers, who let's face it are what golf fans all are, the Players status is as the most important tournament after the majors and has been for some time. Which is not chopped liver by any means. The Ryder Cup was a pure afterthought until Europe started winning its share. That's what it would take for the Presidents Cup to matter to anyone as well.

9. playthrough

Can always count on you to carry the Tour's lunchbox. Of course they're allowed to promote it, and it's an excellent event. I loved going as a spectator -- can't beat Jacksonville in the spring and it's the area's second-biggest social event of the year behind the Georgia-Florida game. But the Tour just barks up the strangest trees when trying to pump it up, like last year creating a new theme song and a new 24k gold trophy that is said to include elements from every previous Players champion (huh?). While the Masters simply rolls out shot-by-shot online coverage for every player in the field.

10. playthrough

I think the U.S. might have survived the Internationals' best shot. Late in the second day it looked like a bloodbath for the U.S. but they ended up breaking even for the session. In my state-sanctioned wagering terminal the U.S. was -106 to "lift the Cup" (meaning a tie is OK since they retain), I think that's a pretty good number.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Didn’t The Players announce it was going to have video of every shot from every player next year?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A service The Players also has.

Draft saved Draft deleted