1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m not a big fan, but I try to watch Daytona every year. Race finishes like this are one reason I’m not a big fan. Crashes every two laps are killing my interest.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They need to dumb everything down. The more elaborate the race cars get, the more elaborate the race structures get, the less entertaining and more time-consuming everything is.

There is no visible difference between racing side-by-side at 150 mph and 175. But the former gets finished, ironically enough, a helluva lot quicker.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Back in the day (late 1990s/early 2000s), I remember a big concern was jacked up hotel prices would eventually force people to stop coming to races. Hotels would double or triple their prices, with minimal night stays. I'm assuming that's still the case?

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Seriously, why even have a race?
    500 miles used to be a test of both man and machine. That's no longer part of the equation.
    Just have a 3-lap shootout, and be done.
    The hotel thing is an issue now because no Sunday race should extend past 4:30. If you go to a race like this, plan on missing work Monday.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Denny beat.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Good for the Gibbs family. I have nothing but respect for Joe Gibbs. The fact that JD died at 49 and I turn 48 this year freaks me out.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nascar really needs to figure this out.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I really think a lot of this was BZF’s fault. Too much mad scrambling and indecisiveness to try to recreate something that evaporated in February 2001 and can only be recreated organically. The male portion of the third generation of the France dynasty had to have truly disappointed their forebears.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious if there is a theory that the loss of the experienced middle-tier drivers who know how to drive has something to do with what happened today. I also figure there is less and less slack given to newer drivers with shorter and less costly contracts - allowing teams to cut them loose earlier if they don't show results right away.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Everyone has made their peace with The Big One and it's almost disappointing if it doesn't happen. It's the Big One part 2, 3, 4, etc., where you start to question the best drivers in the world (cough, cough) and it feels like the damned circus.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... so I take it people know where the junkyard is in Volusia County now?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Won't anyone think of the guy whose job it is to throw debris on the track with 10 laps left?

Draft saved Draft deleted