1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There will be a tournament. Even in empty arenas, there will be tournament games.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.
    I can see the first weekend played in empty arenas.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Dayton. Maybe.

Follow the money. The cash from CBS/Turner keeps the NCAA solvent. It's not canceling this thing. It's one thing for the Big West and Ivy to limit/cancel. March Madness with everyone at home telecommuting? Yeah, no.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they do somehow cancel the tournament, Alabama will claim the national championship.

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They'd have to get into the tournament first. Besides, it's basketball. They don't give a damn.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia Tech overachieved early. Hokies probably had no business beating Michigan State, then got pantsed by Dayton and BYU (both very good teams). Mike Young did what he could with a very young team with no size that was incredibly dependent on outside shooting. Had to hit 12-13 3s a game to compete. I think the future will be fine. I would just like to thank the ACC Network for giving me one last kick in the dick by making me go out to a bar to watch that shellacking. (Go XFinity!)

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Good point. They prepared for this in the ESPN holiday tournament that draws 8 people a game.
    As I said on the other thread, I was there Tuesday night for hockey and will be there Wednesday night for hockey. No fans allowed Thursday, Friday and Saturday for the Big West. The usher in my section was thrilled to not have to work those three days. There will be fans Sunday when the Ducks play Montreal.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many people go tot he tournaments anyway outside the Power Five and Big East tournaments.

I don't go to college basketball games in person but it seems to me that there are a lot of empty arenas at the mid-major level.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've been at some mid-major tourneys where the hosting team didn't make it to the championship game, and the celebration after the final game was just sad. Streamers and confetti dropped and the players and coaches on the floor were celebrating, but almost nobody in the stands really cared. Fans of the teams in that conference rarely traveled, so most people at the game were locals who had bought a package of tickets or were given comps.

And that got me to thinking: If the mid-major where I worked dropped athletics, would anyone really care? A couple of hundred (maybe...that number might be too high) student-athletes would be affected, and about 30 people would be out of work, but beyond that? We didn't get much media coverage; students didn't come to games; faculty and staff were pretty indifferent. That college is facing major budget issues, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it dropped athletics in the next few years.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fantastic finish to open the Pac-12 tournament. So long, Utah. It's CBI time.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You didn't get the memo - CBI was cancelled due to caronavirus. But yes, hell of a game. Don't know how the Beavers pulled that out. The weird thing about this season is that their wins always seem to look a lot like their losses. Kind of feel bad for Plummer.

Draft saved Draft deleted