1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never. Too many business relationships, too much money.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

From the "you think you know these guys but you really don't" files ... I talked to Rick Crawford all the time when I covered the Truck Series, seemed like a good guy and was content with his unusual spot in Nascar as a career-long truck racer.

And now he might die in prison.

Ex-driver Crawford found guilty of enticing minor

4. 2muchcoffeeman

5. playthrough

Terrible news. And it's not likely that this weekend's race at Indy will provide any more uplifting news.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Further proof that white men are losing their chokehold on all things culturally related. Thank god.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the costs, I'm surprised NASCAR hasn't considered cutting back on the number of West Coast races. Not sure what the attendance figures are out this way, but I think SoCal could get buy with single races at Vegas, Fontana, Sonoma and Phoenix.

8. What are the costs, to NASCAR to hold races (muchless 2 races) at a track?

9. playthrough

Not sure. But all the tracks get a nice payout from the fat TV deal -- and of course half the tracks are owned by NASCAR anyway. At the Brickyard this weekend, there will be the usual kvetching about empty seats and all, but the truth is IMS makes millions from the TV deal so the ticket sales are just gravy. (If the crowds of 15-20 years ago were paired with the current TV deal, IMS would need cargo planes to carry all the cash out.)

The elephant in the room is what the next TV deal will do to the sport, because it sure won't be more $$ than this one unless something changes in a hurry.

10. Kind of my point: Not sure there is any real major "cost" to NASCAR to do the races. The teams maybe, but not NASCAR itself.
    As you noted, much of the money comes from TV payout, fans - fans in the stands - I suspect are more gravy than anything else.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted