1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 college rings postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

My impression that most champions are tested once in the early going is wrong. No eventual champion has won its Round of 32 game by fewer than five points since Arizona in 1997. Only six of the 34 champions in the ≥ 64-team era have had a game in the first weekend decided by five or fewer points.
    In all, champs have claimed 118 of their 204 tourney wins by ≥ 10 points and only 22 by ≤ 5 points. The best team generally proves its excellence. Notable exceptions UConn in 2014, Arizona in 1997 and Villanova in 1985, when there was no shot clock.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember Georgetown's one-point scare with SMU in 1984, but do remember them destroying UNLV, Dayton, Kentucky (Final Four) and Houston (title game).

IIRC, Kentucky shot 3-for-33 in the second half of that game, and the Hoyas toyed with Olajuwon and Houston.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's been longer than that. The Hoosier Dome hosted it in 1991, followed by the Metrodome and the Superdome in 1992 and 1993.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The last non dome Final Four was, I believe, at the Meadowlands in 1996.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember Maryland-Indiana in 2002 being a snooze fest, too.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

MSU covered five, Duke four.

So it looks like UNC and Villanova are the only two to win all by double digits and cover the spread in each game.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I went to bed at halftime. Doesn't look like I missed much.

9. Dick Whitman

10. Dick Whitman

Are they fucking serious with that? He was quoting a rap song. And Donte doesn't exactly strike me as a white supremacist.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Fun fact from the radio this morning: Since Loyola's games are not broadcast, they had to cobble together a radio team for the local feed on Sirius/XM on Saturday night.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Someone also dug up a tweet from around the same time about how good it feels to have one's asshole licked.

Draft saved Draft deleted