1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You're confusing "eye test" with "resumé." The eye test has nothing to do with you've played or who you've beaten.

Like Baylor, when you watch Alabama, they just look like a dominant football team. Not saying that's right (and I've said multiple times on this thread that Alabama is overranked), but that's probably what the old football coaches on the committee are thinking when they cast their votes.

And let's remember when Alabama played Georgia, Georgia still had Nick Chubb, and was not the shell of a team that played Florida. And they completely dominated a team with probably 25 future NFL players on it.

It also seems like the committee considers the Ole Miss win over Alabama fluky. Otherwise, Ole Miss would have been higher than 16.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I asked that question over both Alabama and Ohio State last night......what are both teams "best wins"........Georgia and Penn State?.......

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Do you feel like Memphis should be allowed to meander into the Top 4?
    I'm thinking TCU would easily top Memphis if the two were to play.
    And my brother down in Key West says the state of Florida and its media feel Florida is indeed both big and bad.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Maybe it's the way they scored lots of points against the Ole Miss defense. (use at least a light shade of blue with the font here)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think much of this thread is from habit. College fans have spent almost a century arguing about rankings, and now that the playoff system makes such arguments more or less irrelevant until December, they can't think of another way to discuss their sport.
    That said, the committee is playing with fire when it starts rating one-loss teams ahead of unbeaten ones. Last year went great for them, but their judgment is still being judged by both fans and participant programs. To place a team in the top four when it's not in first place in its own division of a conference is the sort of call that invites close scrutiny. But then, seeing my above paragraph, maybe ESPN has asked them to make one weird pick a week so as to give their 3,567 commentators something to talk about.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, you guys think they're clueless. That's your opinion. Others may think you're clueless. My only argument is they might have waited until after this weekend to see if Alabama beats LSU, then put them up there. Baylor or TCU should have been in the fourth spot.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But Baylor's QB is out so Baylor probably won't be as good. That's why!!!!!!

Back to seriousness, Baylor's SOS is 109.

In November it will be 9.

So, go out and win 'em ...

... without your NFL-caliber QB.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not sure if you're aware Florida is 7-1 (5-1) and will clinch the East by rolling Vandy on Saturday.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Notre Dame's best "win" is a loss - by two points on the road against Clemson.

Presumably Temple will lose once or twice before all this is said and done. It's possible that Notre Dame ends up with what amounts to one quality win, at Stanford, and still gets in.

People will absolutely lose their shit.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know if Temple loses again. Very good defense. That middle linebacker Matakevich will be on the Patriots next year.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

+1

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If ESPN really wanted them to make one weird pick, Iowa or Memphis would be sitting at No. 4. THAT would give people something to talk about.

Draft saved Draft deleted