1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Exactly … these first ratings are sexy and fun to talk about but there is so much left to shake out that this tally means very little. They could have put Florida up there somewhere or had Ole Miss higher (beat that team this season and you've done something mighty big) but none of it really matters until, say, three weeks or so down the road. LSU at this point controls its destiny and Ohio State is fine if they don't lose again and Clemson sure will help itself if it wins over FSU … all those type scenarios are in place and set.

2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Because of its win over big, bad Florida or triumph at mighty Syracuse.

Meanwhile, other undefeated teams -- one of which defeated the same team, on the road, that one of the big bads did -- sit on the outside.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was no justification for putting Alabama in the top four. None. But it is a valuable signal to other competitors that if all other things are equal at the end, the committee will pick the brand name.
    It's really all quite standardized. By early December, there will be four conference champs who won de facto playoff games in their conference title matchups and the Big 12 champ. And one (my guess is the Pac-12 champ this year if Clemson keeps winning) will be left without a chair when the music stops. And it'll be that way every year until they expand to eight so that each conference gets a slot each year come what may.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did anyone understand Pollack's reference to Conway Twitty?

Felt like Galloway needed to balance the scales of confusion with a reference to Boz Skaggs.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stanford is this year's Ohio State. Lost first game and now the Cardinal are rolling and if they win out they're one of the 4. Very good team.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does anyone really believe that if LSU wins out, it doesn't deserve a spot in the top 4?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bob Bowlsby should be getting very very nervous right now.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Of the top 4, that only 2 that make any sense to me are Clemson and LSU.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It'll fall into place. Just give it time. People get so fired up about the first set of rankings. The hot takes are off the charts. It's the best.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's the thing with the Big 12 backloading everything, and the SEC, Big 10 and ACC having championship games. Baylor and TCU all play each other plus Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor has Texas......it will play itself out.......but like I said, if the Big 12 gets left out because of the fact they don't have a championship game like last year.........people will be after Bowlsby's corpse.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What is the eye test for Alabama? A win over the fifth best team in the Big 10? A win over Georgia?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe the ranking for Alabama is the committee's belief that in the end it'll be SEC champ. And I hope Les Miles has noted that supposition to his players.

Draft saved Draft deleted