1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-2016 Hot Stove League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that people never think coaches get better or learn from mistakes at previous jobs. I can see it more in a sport like football where the coaches tend to be control freaks and ego maniacs, but I really don't think it's like that so much in baseball.

JackReacher likes this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But it's so much fun to take an idea from a decade ago (or more) and just keep running with it. Apparently, anyway.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought Maddux would be worn out from all the trips to the mound he makes.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Alex Gordon declines the $14 million option and will test free agency.

I think I must be the only Royals fan who doesn't think Gordon is worth $14 million a year. Very good player but, in this lineup, that's a lot of money for a guy hitting seventh or eighth.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, exmedia, I, a non-Royals fans, agree with you. Guys always get more than one thinks, but $14 mill is more than I'd pay.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with this idea, but if deGrom looked worn out, you must have been watching a different postseason. The Royals were just unconscious in that game he pitched. Matz will be fine, though he might need a bit more seasoning. The Mets allowed 8 total runs against the Cubs and only once allowed more than 2 runs against the Dodgers (Harvey allowed three in a 13-7 win). And they certainly pitched well enough to win the series if not for the bullpen and the damn Royals' tenacity. Was really impressed with them, especially against deGrom.

One year, $1.6 mil offer to Black. That's absurd.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

DeGrom was fine in the beginning of the playoffs, but he just looked tired in the Series.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The option was for 12.5 mil next year. And it's not about that money. It's about the guaranteed minimum $60 mil over the next five, which probably ends up being 75 mil over that time frame.

Gordon is the second-best outfielder on the market, behind Heyward, depending on your opinion of Justin Upton and Cespedes. Beyond those four, these are your options:

Jeff Baker
    Alejandro De Aza
    David DeJesus
    Marlon Byrd
    Rajai Davis
    Chris Denorfia
    Dexter Fowler
    Corey Hart
    Austin Jackson
    Matt Joyce
    Nate McLouth
    David Murphy
    Gerardo Parra
    Carlos Quentin
    Ryan Raburn
    Alex Rios
    Cody Ross
    Grady Sizemore
    Denard Span
    Drew Stubbs
    Ryan Sweeney
    Will Venable
    Shane Victorino
    Chris Young
    Delmon Young

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's part of my problem with letting Gordon walk. I know it's too much money, but I look at that list and don't see the Volquez to Gordon's Shields or the Morales to his Butler.

Of course very few people saw Morales doing what he did so that's probably why they are letting Dayton Moore handle it instead of me.

I'm leaning toward Zobrist over Gordon for the Royals if they re-sign one for top dollar because of the versatility.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Fangraphs has a post on the top 82 free agents. Gordon is projected at five years, 90 mil -- and that's the fourth-best contract behind Heyward, Cespedes and Upton

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

On Gordon:

- He'd be hitting higher than eighth in a lineup not managed by a diabolical genius/Chauncey Gardiner (depending on your perspective). He was leading off in September before Yost discovered #EskyMagic.
    - Generally, I'd be more worried about the years than the cost, particularly if it's KC offering the contract and not, say, Boston. But Gordon takes such good care of his body that he might be able to stave off Father Time a little longer. Or maybe not.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, in terms of pure on-field value right now, Gordon's probably a better player than Upton. But Upton is about three years younger, so he's worth more of a financial commitment.

Draft saved Draft deleted