1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-16 College Hoops Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 11, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

In a rematch of last year's championship game. at least what directtv said on the menu guide.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

LSU and Vandy disagree, A&M probably can steal a bid and Andy Kennedy could always crap out another miracle at Ole Miss, but yeah, there's lots of hot garbage to go around.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know what you are saying - but I do think new/recently hired coaches at Tennessee, Auburn and Mississippi State will help make the league a little deeper in a year or two

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There can't be a program that's been worse at closing out games after getting a big lead than KU the past few years.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

KU reminds me of a narrative-based team -- lots of straight-line speed, but absolutely no sense of strategy at the end of the game.

Michigan State is frequently good at worming its way back at the end of games, though.

6. Jake_Taylor

Going back to the Wiggins season, a KU game is never over. They get up double digits and almost always let the other team back in, even games they've won.

On the flip side, they've come back from big deficits several times.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Royals won the World Series.

Therefore I cannot bitch about the Chiefs' clock management or Kansas basketball underperforming to its talent level.

At least not for a few years.

Hell, I even see Kansas football making strides. I see no problems in the world. Even with Izzo's team being tougher than Self's... oh wait, no bitching.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

On the flip side!

Jake, have you been listening to Self's postgame Q&A with reporters? 'Cause that's one of his favorite phrases, especially when preceded by "But still yet ..."

9. Jake_Taylor

Yes, actually. And considering I think I posted that sometime between taking a benadryl and actually falling asleep, I might not have been capable of coming up with my own phrase.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I may have been too optimistic about UVA. The new freedom of movement rules might have destroyed the Bennett system. You basically have to allow an open lane to the basket, the way they're calling things so far this year.

11. Big Circus

I may have jumped the gun on this.

12. Big Circus

Going for the turkey here...while I fully recognize that I care in large part because it's my own ox getting gored, I think there are two major issues with the new freedom of movement rules:

- A defensive player who beats his opponent to a spot should have as much right to be there as the offensive player does. Staying in front of somebody is fundamental defense, not "restricting movement."
    - Similarly, fighting for post position is also part of the game. It makes for a huge imbalance when the offensive player is allowed to fight for position and the defensive player isn't.

Through one week, this is looking like the college hoops equivalent of the Manning Rules. If the NCAA wanted to legislate defense out of the game, it looks like they're off to a good start. It broke my heart when Malcolm Brogdon (as proud and principled a player as exists in college sports) stopped defending and watched his man drive for a layup last night. But that's what the new rules dictate.

Draft saved Draft deleted